BIGELOW, KENNARD & CO
The firm was founded in 1830 in Boston (State Street) by John Bigelow. Soon afterwards John was joined by his brother Alanson, changing the name to Bigelow & Company.
Later entered in the business Abraham O. Bigelow (brother), M.P. Kennard, William H. Kennard and F.P. Bemis and the name was changed to Bigelow, Kennard & Co.
In 1869 the firm moved to Boylston Street, Boston.
After the death or retirement of the original partners, Alanson Bigelow Jr. became sole proprietor and was joined in 1895 by his son Alanson Bigelow (the third member of the family with the same name).
Another son (Homer Lane Bigelow) entered in the partnership (in 1899, retiring some years later) and afterwards entered a son-in-law (Reginald C. Heath).
The business was incorporated in 1912 and went out of business in 1922
OTHER SILVER ADVERTISEMENTS
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of
Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about
antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver,
silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles,
books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington),
history, oddities ...|
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY