A SMALL COLLECTION OF ANTIQUE SILVER
AND OBJECTS OF VERTU
THE WHAT IS? SILVER DICTIONARY

SILVER ADVERTISING:
HOLMES & EDWARDS

The firm began its activity in 1882 succeeding to Rogers & Brittin. The plant was taken over in 1898 by the International Silver Company continuing to operate in Bridgeport until 1931 when moved to Meriden.
The process of inlaying solid silver at points of greatest wear was patented by William A. Warner of Syracuse, NY (No 309,-013 of December 9, 1884 and No 337,099 of March 2, 1886). A solid block of silver was inlaid at the critical points preventing the base metal to be exposed to wear.
Holmes & Edwards acquired the patent rights and continued to use the process for a long time in its flatware production.

OTHER SILVER ADVERTISEMENTS

HOLMES & EDWARDS: HISTORY & MARKS

Holmes & Edwards, 1894 advertisement Holmes & Edwards, 1908 advertisement
Holmes & Edwards, 1902 advertisement Holmes & Edwards, 1927 advertisement Holmes & Edwards, 1927 advertisement
Holmes & Edwards, 1928 advertisement Holmes & Edwards, 1930 advertisement Holmes & Edwards, 1930 advertisement
Holmes & Edwards, 1941 advertisement Holmes & Edwards, 1949 advertisement Holmes & Edwards, 1950 advertisement

English home page
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY