A SMALL COLLECTION OF ANTIQUE SILVER
AND OBJECTS OF VERTU
THE WHAT IS? SILVER DICTIONARY

SITES WHERE SILVERWARE
WAS MANUFACTURED AND TRADED:
JAMES DEAKIN & SONS LTD

The firm was founded in Sheffield by James Deakin in 1866.
The first mark was entered by the firm in Sheffield Assay Office on 31 January 1878. It was a "JD" over "WD" and, possibly, represented the partnership of James Deakin and his son William Pitchford Deakin. The firm was active at Sidney Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield.
In 1886 two further sons entered in the partnership, John Deakin and Albert Deakin, and the firm was then known as James Deakin & Sons.
Further marks were entered in London Assay Office (1888) by William and John Deakin (subsidiary offices and showrooms at 48 Holborn Viaduct, London), Chester and Birmingham. Further offices and showrooms were opened at Gardiner House, 14 Charterhouse Street, London, 34 St. Enoch Square, Glasgow and 7 Queen Street, Belfast.
After the retirement of James Deakin (1893) the business was continued by his sons William, John and Albert.
In 1897 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style James Deakin & Sons Ltd.

FACTORIES, PLANTS, SALESROOMS, SHOPS AND WORKSHOPS: OLD IMAGES

JAMES DEAKIN & SONS; HISTORY & MARKS


James Deakin & Sons Ltd, Sydney Works, Sydney St. & Matilda St. - Sheffield

James Deakin & Sons Ltd, Sydney Works, Sydney St. & Matilda St. - Sheffield


English home page
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - OLD IMAGES OF FACTORIES, PLANTS, SHOPS AND WORKSHOPS - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY