A SMALL COLLECTION OF ANTIQUE SILVER
AND OBJECTS OF VERTU
THE WHAT IS? SILVER DICTIONARY

TRADEMARK GEOGRAPHY IN BRITISH SILVERPLATE

The purpose of a trademark (or trade mark) is to be a recognisable symbol of a specific manufacturer or product.
In the 19th century the use of trademarks was a practice largely followed by British silverplate manufacturers.
Being the base metal and the silvering process substantially similar in all the factories, any manufacturer tried to enhance the quality and the specificity of his product by attributing a name that could attract the customer's interest.
A widespread method was to mark the product with a trademark inspired to geographical locations giving the impression to have used silver of that provenance in the manufacture.
In reality, in few cases as "Nevada" and "Potosi" the place was renowned for its silver mines. In most other cases the trademark referred to British and Empire locations or to South American and European countries.
Daniel & Arter of Birmingham was the leader of this practice, using the wider array of "geographical" trademarks and probably the best known of all, Nevada Silver.




THE WORLDWIDE SILVERPLATE MAP
worldwide silverplate map

AFGHAN SILVER
FREDERICK WHITEHOUSE
FREDERICK WHITEHOUSE & CO

Birmingham
Formerly Benjamin Spittle. Active at Lion Works, Warstone Lane, Birmingham.


ARGENTINA SILVER
JOSEPH GILBERT
JOSEPH GILBERT & SONS & CO

Birmingham
Active from 1841 at Sun Works, Ryland Street, 61 Bissel Street and Gooch Street, Birmingham.


AUSTRALIAN SILVER
WILLIAM NAYLOR & CO
NAYLOR, CLARK & CO

Birmingham
William Naylor & Co was active at Caledonian Works. Partners of Naylor, Clark & Co were William Naylor and William Clark (possibly brothers in law) listed in Francis White Trade Directory 1875 as Naylor Clark & Co in Vittoria St. William Naylor (born c1836, formerly Long Sutton, Lincolnshire) lived in Hagley Road and William Clark in Charlotte Road, Edgbaston. William Naylor was married with Laura Clark (Sutton Bridge, Lincs).



BENARES
JOHN ROUND
JOHN ROUND & SON
JOHN ROUND & SON LTD

Sheffield The firm was established by John Round in Sheffield in 1847 as a small familiar workshop attached to his house in Tudor Street. The business proved successful and the firm in partnership with his son Edwin went under the title of John Round & Son (1863). In 1874 the firm became John Round & Son Ltd and in 1886 the business of Ridge, Allcard & Co (Lions Works, Eyre Lane) was amalgamated and John Ridge became the manager.


BENGAL SILVER
DANIEL & ARTER
DANIEL & ARTER LTD

Birmingham
Firm established by Thomas Henry Daniel and Thomas Richard Arter at the Globe Nevada Silver Works, Highgate Street, Birmingham. The firm was converted in 1920 into a limited liability company under the style Daniel & Arter Ltd. The business closed in the 1930s.


BOLIVIAN SILVER
WILLIAM PAGE & CO
WILLIAM PAGE & CO LTD

Birmingham
Active from 1880 at Cranemore St, Cattle's Grove and 55 Albion St, Birmingham. In 1936 the firm became Ltd.


BOMBAY SILVER
UNIDENTIFIED MAKER

BRAZILIAN SILVER
DANIEL & ARTER
DANIEL & ARTER LTD

Birmingham
Firm established by Thomas Henry Daniel and Thomas Richard Arter at the Globe Nevada Silver Works, Highgate Street, Birmingham. The firm was converted in 1920 into a limited liability company under the style Daniel & Arter Ltd. The business closed in the 1930s.
From 1881 Daniel & Arter manufactured spoons and forks under the title BRAZILIAN SILVER. The trade name was registered in 1885. The same trade name was used without authorisation by Frederick Whitehouse & Co in the period 1885-1897.


BRISBANE SILVER
JAMES DEAKIN & SONS
Sheffield
The firm was established in 1865 by James Deakin at Sidney Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield. Before 1886 he was joined in partnership by his three sons, William Pitchford, John and Albert and the style of the firm was changed to James Deakin & Sons. In 1888 they opened London offices and showrooms at 48 Holborn Viaduct. Other branches were opened at Glasgow and Belfast. In 1897 the firm was converted to James Deakin & Sons Ltd. The trademark BRISBANE was used also by Shaw & Fisher (owned by Deakin & Sons)



BRITANOID
BARKER BROS
BARKER BROTHERS SILVERSMITHS LTD
BARKER ELLIS SILVER CO

Birmingham
Firm established in Birmingham in 1801 by Mary Barker. The business was continued by her son William Barker in partnership with Creed under the style Barker & Creed. In 1885 the firm traded under the style Barker Brothers at Unity Works, Paradise Street, Birmingham as a partnership of Herbert Edward Barker and Matthias Barker. In 1903 they moved to new factory premises, Unity Works, Constitution Hill, Birmingham.
In 1907 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style Barker Brothers Silversmiths Ltd and in the 1960s, merging with Ellis & Co (Birmingham) Ltd, the firm changed to Barker Ellis Silver Co Ltd.


BURMA SILVER
NEEDHAM, VEALL & TYZACK
Sheffield
Active at Eye Witness Works, Milton St (1889-1925), Nimrod Works, Eldon St (1889-1905), Glamorgan Works, Pond St and Pyramid Works, Reed St and Ceylon Works, Thomas St, Sheffield (1905-1925).The firm was converted into a "Ltd" in 1897.


CHESTER PLATE
A E POSTON & CO LTD
Birmingham
Active c. 1930-1960.



INDIAN SILVER
DANIEL & ARTER
DANIEL & ARTER LTD

Birmingham
Firm established by Thomas Henry Daniel and Thomas Richard Arter at the Globe Nevada Silver Works, Highgate Street, Birmingham. The firm was converted in 1920 into a limited liability company under the style Daniel & Arter Ltd. The business closed in the 1930s.


MEXICAN SILVER
THOMAS ELLIN & CO
Sheffield
Active at Sylvester Works, Arundel Street, Sheffield.



NEVADA SILVER
DANIEL & ARTER
DANIEL & ARTER LTD

Birmingham
Firm established by Thomas Henry Daniel and Thomas Richard Arter at the Globe Nevada Silver Works, Highgate Street, Birmingham. The firm was converted in 1920 into a limited liability company under the style Daniel & Arter Ltd. The business closed in the 1930s.


NORWEGIAN SILVER
WILLIAM GALLIMORE
WILLIAM GALLIMORE & CO
WILLIAM GALLIMORE & SONS

Sheffield
William Gallimore & Co active at 17-19 Arundel St, Sheffield (1863-1891). Succeeded to William Gallimore, 42 School Croft, Sheffield, who started electroplating in 1858.


PERUVIAN SILVER
THOMAS HANDS
THOMAS HANDS & SON

Birmingham
Active from 1850 at 8 New Hall St and 38 Suffolk St, Birmingham. In 1861 the firm changed to Thomas Hands & Son.


POTOSI SILVER
THE POTOSI SILVER CO
Birmingham
Potosi Silver Co (manufacturers of electro-plated wares) owned, from 1878, by Levi & Salaman.


PRUSSIAN SILVER
DEYKIN & SONS
Birmingham
active from 1854 as electroplaters in their Venetian Works, 5-6 Jennens Row, Dale End, Birmingham.


SCOTIA SILVER
UNIDENTIFIED MAKER

SONORA SILVER
WALKER & HALL
Sheffield
The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by George Walker.


SOUDAN SILVER
UNIDENTIFIED MAKER

SYDNEY SILVER
JAMES DEAKIN & SONS
Sheffield
The firm was established in 1865 by James Deakin at Sidney Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield. Before 1886 he was joined in partnership by his three sons, William Pitchford, John and Albert and the style of the firm was changed to James Deakin & Sons. In 1888 they opened London offices and showrooms at 48 Holborn Viaduct. Other branches were opened at Glasgow and Belfast. In 1897 the firm was converted to James Deakin & Sons Ltd. The trademark BRISBANE was used also by Shaw & Fisher (owned by Deakin & Sons)


VENETIAN SILVER
DEYKIN & HARRISON
DEYKIN & HARRISON LTD

Birmingham
Active at Jennens Row, Birmingham since 1895. The partners were William R. Deykin and Walter A. Harrison. VENETIAN SILVER was a trade mark used by the firm. In 1907 the firm became Deykin & Harrison Ltd




English home page
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY