ENGLISH ELECTROPLATE SILVER

MARKS AND HALLMARKS OF SHEFFIELD AND BIRMINGHAM SILVER PLATE MAKERS
WITH THE ADDITION OF OTHER BRITISH, SCOTTISH AND IRISH MANUFACTURERS



created by Giorgio B. owner of
www.silvercollection.it ©  HOME
English home page
versione italiana page d'accueil en francais

This is a page of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
SITE MAP - HOME PAGE

click on +1 button of google if you like silvercollection.it

The two common forms of plated silver are Sheffield plate and silverplate/electroplate.
Sheffield Plate is a cheaper substitute for sterling, produced by fusing sheets of silver to the top and bottom of a sheet of copper or base metal. This 'silver sandwich' was then worked into finished pieces. At first it was only put on one side and later was on top and bottom.
Modern electroplating was invented by Italian chemist Luigi V. Brugnatelli in 1805. Brugnatelli used his colleague Alessandro Volta's invention of five years earlier, the voltaic pile, to facilitate the first electrodeposition. Unfortunately, Brugnatelli's inventions were repressed by the French Academy of Sciences and did not become used in general industry for the following thirty years.
Silver plate or electroplate is formed when a thin layer of pure or sterling silver is deposited electrolytically on the surface of a base metal. By 1839, scientists in Britain and Russia had independently devised metal deposition processes similar to Brugnatelli's for the copper electroplating of printing press plates.
Soon after, John Wright of Birmingham, England, discovered that potassium cyanide was a suitable electrolyte for gold and silver electroplating.
Wright's associates, George Elkington and Henry Elkington were awarded the first patents for electroplating in 1840. These two then founded the electroplating industry in Birmingham England from where it spread around the world.
Common base metals include copper, brass, nickel silver - an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel - and Britannia metal - a tin alloy with 5-10% antimony.
Electroplated materials are often stamped EPNS for electroplated nickel on silver, or EPBM for electroplated Britannia metal.

THE DIRECTORY OF BRITISH ELECTROPLATED SILVER MAKERS: Hi-Hz

SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: MARKS' IMAGE & HISTORY
Aa/Az    Ba/Bd    Be/Bn    Bo/Bz    Ca/Cn    Co/Cz    Da/Dh    Di/Dz    Ea/Eo    Ep/Ez    Fa/Fh    Fi/Fz    Ga/Gn    Go/Gz    Ha/Hh    Hi/Hz    Ia/Jz    Ka/Kz    La/Lz    Ma/Maq    Mar/Mz    Na/Nz    Oa/Oz    Pa/Pg    Ph/Pz    Qa/Rz    Sa/Sh    Si/Sz    Ta/Uz    Va/Vz    Wa/Wh    Wi/Wz    Ya/Yz    Za/Zz    unk.#1    unk.#2    unk.#3    unk.#4   

ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF SILVERPLATE MARKS
AA/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HZ    IA/IZ    JA/JM    JN/KZ    LA/LZ    MA/OZ    PA/QZ    RA/RZ    SA/SZ    TA/UZ    VA/VZ    WA/ZZ   

|THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO SILVERPLATE MARKS|    |UK FIGURAL TRADE MARKS|    |ALPHABETIC SYMBOLS|    |SILVERPLATE PSEUDO HALLMARKS|    |DATING UK PATENT MARKS|    |OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE|    |ELKINGTON DATE LETTERS|    |WALKER & HALL DATE LETTERS|    |MAPPIN & WEBB DATE LETTERS|    |EPNS - EPBM|    |BRITANNIA METAL|    |UNIDENTIFIED SILVERPLATE MARKS|
John Heitfor - Sheffield
JOHN HEITFOR
London
Manufacturer of Britannia Metal, active at 3 Paradise Square, Sheffield. No further information available
Francis Higgins - The Portland Co - London
FRANCIS HIGGINS - THE PORTLAND CO LTD
FRANCIS HIGGINS & SON
FRANCIS HIGGINS & SON LTD
London
The Portland Co Ltd was founded in 1859 and was active at Riding House Street, Portland Place, London. The firm, using the mark of Frank Higgins junior (a small gothic fh into a heart), was put into voluntary liquidation in 1869. Francis Higgins continued the activity as Francis Higgins & Son (1868-1909) and Francis Higgins & Son Ltd (1909-1940), absorbing in 1922 Holland, Aldwinckle & Slater. The business was continued by C.J. Vander Ltd.
Joseph Hirons & Henry Hodson Plante & Co - Birmingham Joseph Hirons & Henry Hodson Plante & Co - Birmingham Joseph Hirons & Henry Hodson Plante  - Birmingham
JOSEPH HIRONS & HENRY HODSON PLANTE
JOSEPH HIRONS, HENRY HODSON PLANTE & CO
Birmingham
A partnership of Joseph Hirons, Henry Hodson Plante and Rowland Bourne active c. 1864 as plate workers at Frederick Street Works, Birmingham & Hatton Garden, London
see Henry Hodson Plante for further information




Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London (possibly) Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London Henry Hobson & Sons - Sheffield and London
HENRY HOBSON & SONS
Sheffield & London
Business established in Sheffield by Henry Hobson in 1845. A London branch was opened in 1852 and later styled George Hobson & Sons. Queen Street factory moved to Carver Street (1901) and then to Eyre Lane, Sheffield (1912). The firm used the trade marks X PRESS and EXPRESS
Hobson, James & Gilby - Birmingham
HOBSON, JAMES & GILBY
Birmingham
c. 1920
Richard Hodd & Son - London & Queen Victoria verification mark Richard Hodd & Son at 66/67 Cheapside - London Richard Hodd & Son - London Richard Hodd & Son - London Richard Hodd & Son - London Richard Hodd - London Richard Hodd & William Linley - London
RICHARD HODD
RICHARD HODD & WILLIAM LINLEY
RICHARD HODD & SON
London
Business established in 1849 at Hatton Garden as Goodfellow, Tilley & Hodd (1849-1854). Later the firm became Goodfellow & Hodd (until 1860), Richard Hodd (until 1862), Hodd & Linley (until 1872) and Richard Hodd & Son from 1872 until the late 1970s. They were active from c. 1878 in Minerva Works, Hatton Gardens 30/31 using a trademark with the image of Minerva, the Greek goddess of industry. They were active also at 66/67 Cheapside. In 1981 the premises at Hatton Garden were occupied by the workshop of Dennis Smith and Gareth Harris, silversmiths.




David Hollander & Sons Ltd - Birmingham David Hollander & Sons Ltd - Birmingham
DAVID HOLLANDER & SONS LTD
Birmingham
c. 1950-1970
Holman & Norton - Birmingham Holman & Norton - Birmingham Holman & Norton - Birmingham
HOLMAN & NORTON
Birmingham
active from 1899 at 43 Howard Str, Birmingham
George Gates Honour - London George Gates Honour - London George Gates Honour - London
GEORGE GATES HONOUR
GEORGE GATES HONOUR & SONS
London
active from 1900
Houchton & Cunn - London
HOUCHTON & CUNN
London
possibly merged with Asprey & Co in 1911
Edwin Howard & Son - Sheffield (possibly)
EDWIN HOWARD & SON (possibly)
Sheffield
Active at 90 Pond Street (1863-1870). Edwin Howard was partner of Howard & Hawksworth, 9 Orchard Lane (1835-1857), trading solely as Edwin Howard (without '& Son') at 9 Orchard Lane (1857-1863) and at 5 Bridge St, Sheffield (1870-1878).
Francis Howard Sheffield Francis Howard Ltd, Sheffield: trade mark Francis Howard, Sheffield Francis Howard Sheffield Francis Howard Sheffield
FRANCIS HOWARD
FRANCIS HOWARD LTD
Sheffield
Active at West End Works, 68 West St (1870-1886), Aberdeen Works, 1 Trafalgar St and 99 Division St (1886-1974). The firm was converted into a limited liability company in 1923. The firm derived, possibly, from Edwin Howard & Son (active 1863-1870)




James Howard & Co - Sheffield James Howard & Co - Sheffield James Howard & Co - Sheffield James Howard & Co - Sheffield
JAMES HOWARD
JAMES HOWARD &SONS
JAMES HOWARD & CO
Sheffield
Active from 1861 at Broom Spring Works, Fitzwilliam St and Bath St, Sheffield. From 1862 the firm became James Howard & Co.
The firm used the trade mark THE BRANSTON
William Howe & CO - Sheffield (possibly) William Howe & CO - Sheffield (possibly) William Howe & CO - Sheffield (possibly) George Hawksley & Co - Sheffield
WILLIAM HOWE
WILLIAM HOWE & CO
Sheffield
Active as William Howe & Co at 17 Corporation St (1858-1861). From 1861 became William Howe. Active at 8 Lambert St (1861-1866), Wollen St (1867-1872) and Gatefield Works, 48 Roberts St, Sheffield (1873-1881)
Howes & Browett,  Birmingham
HOWES & BROWETT
Birmingham
see
Alfred Browett
L. Hughes  & Sons
L. HUGHES & SONS

not identified
Hukin&Heath - Birmingham, silver plate mark Hukin&Heath - Birmingham, silver plate mark Hukin&Heath - Birmingham Hukin & Heath - Birmingham c. 1880 Hukin&Heath - Birmingham Hukin&Heath - Birmingham, silver plate mark Hukin&Heath - Birmingham Hukin&Heath - Birmingham
HUKIN & HEATH
Birmingham

The firm was established in Birmingham in 1855 by Jonathan Wilson Hukin and John Thomas Heath. The firm's association with Christopher Dresser began in 1877; the first registered design dates from 1878, and others were entered up to 1881. Dresser's designs were launched at the opening of the firm's showrooms in Charterhouse Street in August 1879. In 1904 the business was converted under the style of Hukin & Heath Ltd. The company closed in 1953. Found a spoon marked CRESCINA (possibly a trade mark)
George Henry Hulley  - Sheffield
GEORGE HENRY HULLEY
Sheffield
Active at 17-19 Cambridge St (1886-1899) and Ecclesall Works, Rockingham St, Sheffield (1900-1940)
W.R. Humpreys & Co, Sheffield W.R. Humpreys & Co, Sheffield W.R. Humpreys & Co, Sheffield W.R. Humpreys & Co, Sheffield
W.R.HUMPREYS & CO
W.R.HUMPREYS & CO LTD
Sheffield
William R. Humpreys & Co, 1889-1925, Eyre Street Works and Haddon Works. Became Ltd in 1904. The firm used the trade mark RADIANT PLATE
J.H. Hunt - Birmingham
JAMES HENRY HUNT
JAMES HENRY HUNT & CO
Birmingham
Active at 55 Hockley Hill and 3 Regent Pd, Birmingham. The firm used the trade mark SIBERIAN SILVER.
Hunter & Co - Sheffield Hunter & Co - Sheffield Michael Hunter & Son - Sheffield
MICHAEL HUNTER & SON
HUNTER & CO
Sheffield
Active at Talbot Works, 328 Saville St and Reed St, Sheffield (1884-1925). The firm used trade marks "LLAMA" and "FUERTE"




William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Ltd Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield William Hutton & Sons Sheffield
WILLIAM HUTTON & SONS
Sheffield

The firm was established in Birmingham in 1800 by William Hutton, and was transferred to Sheffield in 1832. After the founder's death the business was continued under the style of William Hutton by his son William Carr Hutton. The firm was transformed in William Hutton & Sons in 1864 and William Hutton & Sons Ltd from 1893 to 1930. In 1930 goodwill transferred to James Dixon & Sons Ltd. The firm used the trade mark CROSS ARROWS (6 or 8 arrows) after the acquisition of Creswick & Co (c. 1900). The firm used ther trade mark ANGLE PLATE

OLD IMAGES OF THE FACTORY

WILLIAM HUTTON & SONS: HISTORY and MARKS


William Hutton & Sons Sheffield: a 1895 advertisement

E.P.N.S. (Electroplated Nickel Silver) and EPBM (Electroplated Britannia Metal) are the most common names attributed to silver plate items. But many other names are used for silver plate:
EPWM - Electroplate on White Metal, EPC - Electroplate on Copper, Argentium, Argentine Plate, Argentum, Ascetic, Austrian Silver, Brazilian Silver, Buxbridge, Electrum, Encore, Exquisite, Insignia Plate, Nevada Silver, Norwegian Silver, Pelican Silver, Potosi Silver, Silverite, Sonora Silver, Spur Silver, Stainless Nickel, Stainless Nickel Silver, Venetian Silver, W.M White Metal,....





WORLDWIDE DIRECTORY OF SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: HISTORY & MARKS
Rogers & Bro. - Waterbury CT hallmarkUSA & Canada     Mappin & Webb hallmarkWalker & Hall hallmarkUK Electroplate     Devices of Old Sheffiel PlateOld Sheffield Plate     Herrmann factory silver plate markContinental/Europe

BRITISH TOWN MARKS AND DATE LETTERS

STERLING SILVER OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND
ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MAKER'S MARKS
AA/AE    AF/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CH    CI/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HG    HH/HZ    IA/IG    IH/IZ    JA/JC    JD/JI    JJ/JP    JQ/JS    JT/JZ    KA/LZ    MA/MZ    NA/PA    PB/PZ    QA/RJ    RK/RZ    SA/SG    SH/SZ    TA/TH    TI/TZ    UA/WB    WC/WF    WG/WL    WM/WS    WT/ZZ   

This is a page of Silvercollection.it "A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu", a 1500 pages widely illustrated website offering all you wish to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
SITE MAP
- SILVER DICTIONARY

English home page


These pages were useful? leave your LIKE on facebookgo to facebook page

work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated -