The two common forms of plated silver are Sheffield plate and silverplate/electroplate.
|THE DIRECTORY OF BRITISH ELECTROPLATED SILVER MAKERS: La-Lz|
|SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: MARKS' IMAGE & HISTORY|
|Aa/Az Ba/Bd Be/Bn Bo/Bz Ca/Cn Co/Cz Da/Dh Di/Dz Ea/Eo Ep/Ez Fa/Fh Fi/Fz Ga/Gn Go/Gz Ha/Hh Hi/Hz Ia/Jz Ka/Kz La/Lz Ma/Maq Mar/Mz Na/Nz Oa/Oz Pa/Pg Ph/Pz Qa/Rz Sa/Sh Si/Sz Ta/Uz Va/Vz Wa/Wh Wi/Wz Ya/Yz Za/Zz unk.#1 unk.#2 unk.#3 unk.#4|
|ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF SILVERPLATE MARKS|
|AA/AZ BA/BZ CA/CZ DA/DZ EA/EZ FA/FZ GA/GZ HA/HZ IA/IZ JA/JM JN/KZ LA/LZ MA/OZ PA/QZ RA/RZ SA/SZ TA/UZ VA/VZ WA/ZZ|
||THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO SILVERPLATE MARKS| |UK FIGURAL TRADE MARKS| |ALPHABETIC SYMBOLS| |DATING UK PATENT MARKS| |OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE| |ELKINGTON DATE LETTERS| |WALKER & HALL DATE LETTERS| |MAPPIN & WEBB DATE LETTERS| |EPNS - EPBM| |BRITANNIA METAL||
|T. LAND & SON|
active at 107 Trafalgar St, (1901-1908) and Colonial Works, Queens Rd, (1909-1977). Formerly trading as Land & Oxley, the firm was converted to a Ltd in 1909. In 1952 the business was taken over by E.H. Parkin continuing activity until 1977 under its own name. The firm used the trade mark CIVIC
|LARDER & BURGESS|
Active at 144 Eyre St (1900-1905), 38A Matilda St (1906-1923), 156 Eyre St (1924-1932), 10-12 Regent St, Sheffield (1933-1940)
|THOMAS LATHAM & ERNEST MORTON|
Founded in Birmingham by Thomas Latham and Henry Morton in mid 19th century. The firm was converted into a limited liability company in 1915 under the style Latham & Morton Ltd.
|G.H. LAUBENBURGH & CO|
Active at 56 Howard St, Sheffield (1914-1952)
||GEORGE SHADFORD LEE|
LEE & WIGFULL
LEE & WIGFULL (SHEFFIELD) LTD
George S. Lee was active in Charlotte Street Works, Sheffield, together with Henry Wigfull.
|FREDERICK EWBANK LEEFE|
Business established by F.E. Leefe in 1857 at Goswell Road, Clerkenwell, London. After the death of F.E. Leefe the business was continued by his son Arthur Leefe. In 1902 entered as partners Arnold Neale Baily and Thomas House Bates. Out of business in 1926 c.
|E & J LEEK|
E & J LEEK LTD
Birmingham & London
Active in Birmingham in the 1920s (E & J Leek). Active at 12/13 Hatton Garden in the 1930s (E&J Leek Ltd). The firm used the trade mark CELTIC PLATE
LEVESLEY BROTHERS & LLOYD
Charles, William and Thomas Levesley began business in 1863 and William retired September 29, 1865. Active at Central Works 102 West St (1863-1870), Bow St and 1 Sands Paviours (1871-1877) 74-77 Mary St (1878-1929) and 203 Arundel St, Sheffield (1930-1935).
|S.J. LEVI & CO|
Active at Squirrel Works, Regent Place, Birmingham (c.1900-c.1935). The firm used the trade marks LEVIATHAN PLATE and SQUIRREL BRAND
|JAMES LEWIS & SONS|
Active at 149A London Rd, Sheffield (1894-1909)
|LEWIS, ROSE & CO|
Active at Debesco Works, Eyre Street, Sheffield. The firm partecipated to British Industries Fair of 1929 and 1947
|LIBERTY & CO|
Active at Richmond Works (1881-1887), 99 Napier St, (1888-1890) and 25-27 Eyre St, Sheffield (1891-1897)
|LINDSAY & PAISLEY LTD|
Jewellers & Silversmiths (Wholesale and Manufacture) at Gordon St. and (possibly) Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow. Lindsay & Paisley registered sterling silver marks (L&P) in Glasgow Assay Office since 1898 (last 1936, also in Edinburgh Assay Office). Lunar Plate was a trade mark for silver plate production.
|LINGARD & BAKER|
active from 1866 at Gt Hampton St, and 33 Powell St, Birmingham
|LISTER & SON|
Newcastle on Tyne
|LLOYD PASCAL & CO|
Active (1900s-1960s) at Victory Works, 6A Aston Road, Birmingham, (1919), 303 Bloomsbury Street (c1930), then 71-74 Ford Street and Cherry Wood Road, Birmingham.
|LLOYD PAYNE & AMIEL|
The firm is recorded as "Clock & Watch makers, jewellers, musical instrument dealers, opticians & importers of dining and drawing room clocks and bronzes suitable for presentation". They were at Shudehill in 1869 and in Thomas St, Manchester by 1888
|LOCKWOOD BROTHERS LTD|
A subsidiary of Joseph Elliot & Sons Ltd. Lockwood Brothers Limited was active at 74 Arundel Street (1855-1893) and at Spital Hill Works, Sheffield (1894-1922). Established 1767, incorporated 30th June 1891, the firm was the owner of John Sorby and Sons ('Pampa' and 'I. and H. Sorby' trademarks). The firm started electroplating in 1884
|H.G. LONG & CO|
LONG HAWKSLEY & CO
LONG HAWKSLEY & CO LTD
The business was founded by Henry Godfrey Lamb Long in Arundel Street, Sheffield (c.1828). In the late 1840s he entered in partnership with George Hawksley and Benjamin Marples, trading as Long, Hawksley & Marples. After the death of Long (1863) and Marples (1866) the business was continued by George Hawksley as Long, Hawksley & Co. maintaining this name until c. 1906. After the death of Hawksley (1869) the firm was managed by Henry Biggin. Biggin retired in 1889 and the business was continued by Alexander Biggin and Henry Cockayne (partners). The firm was active at Hallamshire Works, 216-220 Rockingam St, Sheffield (1878-1911). The firm became H.G. Long & Co Ltd in 1911 but closed in 1912. In 1913 its name was resurrected and, managed by Joseph Allen, moved from Rockingham Street to New Hallamshire Works in Boston Street. In 1924 the firm was listed in Bridge Street and from 1941 to 1959 at Ecclesall Works, Rockingham Street (the same address of Joseph Allen & Sons). The trade mark (a shield enclosing tho crossed daggers) was granted in 1833.
|LONGDEN & SONS|
|WILLIAM HENRY LYDE|
active c.1880 at Warstone Lane 26, Constitution Hill 26/50 and Newhall St, Birmingham. William Henry Lyde (electroplate manufacturer) continued the activity of George Unite at 50 Newhall Hill, Birmingham and in 1928 the business was converted into a limited liability company as George Unite Sons & Lyde Ltd
E.P.N.S. (Electroplated Nickel Silver) and EPBM (Electroplated Britannia Metal) are the most
common names attributed to silver plate items. But many other names are used for silver plate:
|WORLDWIDE DIRECTORY OF SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: HISTORY & MARKS|
|USA & Canada UK Electroplate Old Sheffield Plate Continental/Europe|
|BRITISH TOWN MARKS AND DATE LETTERS|
|STERLING SILVER OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND
ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MAKER'S MARKS
|AA/AE AF/AZ BA/BZ CA/CH CI/CZ DA/DZ EA/EZ FA/FZ GA/GZ HA/HG HH/HZ IA/IG IH/IZ JA/JC JD/JI JJ/JP JQ/JS JT/JZ KA/LZ MA/MZ NA/PA PB/PZ QA/RJ RK/RZ SA/SG SH/SZ TA/TH TI/TZ UA/WB WC/WF WG/WL WM/WS WT/ZZ|
This is a page of Silvercollection.it "A Small Collection of
Antique Silver and Objects of vertu",
a 1500 pages widely illustrated website offering all you wish to know about
antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver,
silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles,
books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington),
history, oddities ...
work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated -