ENGLISH ELECTROPLATE SILVER

MARKS AND HALLMARKS OF SHEFFIELD AND BIRMINGHAM SILVER PLATE MAKERS
WITH THE ADDITION OF OTHER BRITISH, SCOTTISH AND IRISH MANUFACTURERS



created by Giorgio B. owner of
www.silvercollection.it ©  HOME
English home page
versione italiana page d'accueil en francais

This is a page of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
SITE MAP - HOME PAGE

click on +1 button of google if you like silvercollection.it

The two common forms of plated silver are Sheffield plate and silverplate/electroplate.
Sheffield Plate is a cheaper substitute for sterling, produced by fusing sheets of silver to the top and bottom of a sheet of copper or base metal. This 'silver sandwich' was then worked into finished pieces. At first it was only put on one side and later was on top and bottom.
Modern electroplating was invented by Italian chemist Luigi V. Brugnatelli in 1805. Brugnatelli used his colleague Alessandro Volta's invention of five years earlier, the voltaic pile, to facilitate the first electrodeposition. Unfortunately, Brugnatelli's inventions were repressed by the French Academy of Sciences and did not become used in general industry for the following thirty years.
Silver plate or electroplate is formed when a thin layer of pure or sterling silver is deposited electrolytically on the surface of a base metal. By 1839, scientists in Britain and Russia had independently devised metal deposition processes similar to Brugnatelli's for the copper electroplating of printing press plates.
Soon after, John Wright of Birmingham, England, discovered that potassium cyanide was a suitable electrolyte for gold and silver electroplating.
Wright's associates, George Elkington and Henry Elkington were awarded the first patents for electroplating in 1840. These two then founded the electroplating industry in Birmingham England from where it spread around the world.
Common base metals include copper, brass, nickel silver - an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel - and Britannia metal - a tin alloy with 5-10% antimony.
Electroplated materials are often stamped EPNS for electroplated nickel on silver, or EPBM for electroplated Britannia metal.

THE DIRECTORY OF BRITISH ELECTROPLATED SILVER MAKERS: Ha-Hh

SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: MARKS' IMAGE & HISTORY
Aa/Az    Ba/Bd    Be/Bn    Bo/Bz    Ca/Cn    Co/Cz    Da/Dh    Di/Dz    Ea/Eo    Ep/Ez    Fa/Fh    Fi/Fz    Ga/Gn    Go/Gz    Ha/Hh    Hi/Hz    Ia/Jz    Ka/Kz    La/Lz    Ma/Maq    Mar/Mz    Na/Nz    Oa/Oz    Pa/Pg    Ph/Pz    Qa/Rz    Sa/Sh    Si/Sz    Ta/Uz    Va/Vz    Wa/Wh    Wi/Wz    Ya/Yz    Za/Zz    unk.#1    unk.#2    unk.#3    unk.#4   

ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF SILVERPLATE MARKS
AA/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HZ    IA/IZ    JA/JM    JN/KZ    LA/LZ    MA/OZ    PA/QZ    RA/RZ    SA/SZ    TA/UZ    VA/VZ    WA/ZZ   

|THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO SILVERPLATE MARKS|    |UK FIGURAL TRADE MARKS|    |UK TRADE NAME DIRECTORY|    |ALPHABETIC SYMBOLS|    |SILVERPLATE PSEUDO HALLMARKS|    |DATING UK PATENT MARKS|    |OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE|    |ELKINGTON DATE LETTERS|    |WALKER & HALL DATE LETTERS|    |MAPPIN & WEBB DATE LETTERS|    |EPNS - EPBM|    |BRITANNIA METAL|    |UNIDENTIFIED SILVERPLATE MARKS|
J. Hall & Co - Manchester - unidentified J. Hall & Co - Manchester - unidentified
JOHN HALL & CO
Manchester

Origin of the business in 1830 as Hatfield & Hall, 68 King Street, Manchester. In 1860 the firm was restyled as John Hall & Co. by partners John Hall Sr, John Clapham, Willian Henry Hall and John Hall Jr.
Hamilton & Co - London
HAMILTON & CO
London
The firm succeeded in 1901 to Incorporated Goldsmiths Realization Co. The sole partner was Edward J. Duveen, active at 202 Regent St, London (1903). The business was continued until late 1904/early 1905 when the lease was disposed of and the stock sold by Debenham, Storr & Son Ltd. Altough is said that the business was discontinued, Hamilton & Co were still listed as Jewellers from 1908 at 432 Strand
Hamilton & Inches, Edinburgh Hamilton & Inches, Edinburgh Hamilton & Inches, Edinburgh Hamilton & Inches, Edinburgh
HAMILTON & INCHES
Edinburgh
The firm began in 1866 as a family business and founded its silver shop in 1896. The firm is still active and holds a Royal Warrant as Silversmiths of Her Majesty The Queen

HAMILTON & INCHES: HISTORY and MARKS

Hamilton, Crichton & Co, Edinburgh (possibly)



HAMILTON, CRICHTON & CO (possibly)
Edinburgh
Active c. 1874-1884. Also referred to as Hamilton & Crichton. The two names seem to represent the same business, conducted from two different premises. Continuation of John Hamilton & Son (1867-1874) at the same address
Hamilton & Laidlaw - Glasgow Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow (possibly) Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow & Sheffield Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow & Sheffield Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow & Sheffield Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow (possibly) Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow (courtesy Ian Cook) Hamilton, Laidlaw & Company - Glasgow
HAMILTON & LAIDLAW
HAMILTON, LAIDLAW & COMPANY
Glasgow and Sheffield
Jewellers active at Queen Street and now at 84 Miller Street, Glasgow. Registered marks at Glasgow (since 1891) and Edinburgh Assay Offices. The firm used the trade mark DORRIT SILVER
Hammond, Creake & Co - Sheffield Hammond, Creake & Co - Sheffield Hammond, Creake & Co - Sheffield Hammond, Creake & Co - Sheffield Hammond, Creake & Co - Sheffield Hammond, Creake & Co - Sheffield
HAMMOND, CREAKE & CO
Sheffield
Active at St. Mary's Rd, Sheffield (1886-1935). Converted into a limited liability company in 1920. The mark SAC into a trefoil stands for Saint Arnaud Creake
Thomas Hands & Son - Birmingham Thomas Hands & Son - Birmingham Thomas Hands & Son - Birmingham Thomas Hands & Son - Birmingham
THOMAS HANDS
THOMAS HANDS & SON
Birmingham
Active from 1850 at 8 New Hall St and 38 Suffolk St, Birmingham. In 1861 the firm changed to Thomas Hands & Son. The firm used the trade mark PERUVIAN SILVER
James Hardy & Co Ltd - Aberdeen James Hardy & Co Ltd - Aberdeen
JAMES HARDY & CO LTD
Aberdeen
unidentified (possibly a retailer of Roberts & Belk wares)
James Henry Hardy - Sheffield
JAMES HENRY HARDY
Sheffield
Active at 2 Charles St and 95 Upper St, Philips Rd (1872-1885), 33 Leicester St (1886-1897)
George W. Harris & Co - Sheffield



GEORGE W. HARRIS & CO
Sheffield
Started electroplating in 1858 at 83 Arundel St. Sheffield
Harris & Land Sheffield Harris & Land Sheffield
HARRIS & LAND
Sheffield
1863-1864 at 23 Orchard Lane, Sheffield. Formerly traded as William Harris
Harrison & Son- Darlington Harrison & Son- Darlington
HARRISON & SON
HARRISON & SONS
Darlington (Durham)
Supposedly a retailer, active at High Row, Darlington. Entered hallmarks in Birmingham Assay Office c. 1911/1938
Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield 'ALPHROID' Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield Harrison Brothers & Howson - Sheffield



HARRISON BROTHERS & HOWSON
Sheffield
Founded in 1847 by James William Harrison, Henry Harrison and William Howson. The firm, originally at Norfolk Street, Sheffield expanded in the 1880s to Shoreham Street Works. A new factory was built at Carver Street in 1898. The trademark was taken over by Viners of Sheffield in 1923.
The firm used the trade mark ALPHA PLATE, HALPHROID and LUSTROUS

HARRISON BROTHERS & HOWSON: HISTORY and MARKS

John Harrison - Sheffield John Harrison - Sheffield John Harrison - Sheffield John Harrison - Sheffield John Harrison & Co - Sheffield John Harrison - Sheffield John Harrison - Sheffield John Harrison - Sheffield
JOHN HARRISON
JOHN HARRISON & CO
JOHN HARRISON & CO LTD
Sheffield
Active at Norfolk Lane (1833-1843) and Norfolk Works 116-122 Scotland St, (1843-1865). The firm was the first to start electroplating in Sheffield. The firm became John Harrison & Co in 1866 and John Harrison & Co Ltd in 1873. The business was taken over by Richard Richardson in 1889
an advertisement of W.W. HARRISON & CO,  Sheffield W.W. HARRISON & CO,  Sheffield W.W. HARRISON & CO,  Sheffield W.W. HARRISON & CO,  Sheffield W.W. HARRISON & CO,  Sheffield William Wheatcroft Harrison  - Sheffield
W.W. HARRISON
W.W. HARRISON & CO
Sheffield
William Wheatcroft Harrison, Montgomery Works, Pepper Alley, Fargate (1857-1883), 230 Rockingam St. (1884-1911), Arundel St., Sheffield (1912-1918). London Wharehouse at 99 Hatton Garden
Harrods Ltd - London, retailer of James Dixon & Sons silverware Harrods Ltd - London retailer of John Sherwood & Sons silverware Harrods Ltd - London, retailer of Viners silverware Harrods Ltd - London Harrods Ltd - London Harrods Ltd - London
HARROD STORES LTD (HARRODS)
London
The Knightsbridge department store was founded in 1849 by Henry Charles Harrod. The business was converted to a limited liability company in 1889. In 1928 Harrods Ltd bought Edwards & Sons and in 1934 Elkington & Co Ltd.
S. Hart & Co Ltd - Sheffield S. Hart & Co Ltd - Sheffield
S. HART & CO LTD
Sheffield
c. 1950. The firm used the trademark HARCOURT PLATE
Hart & Huyshe, Campden, Glos.
HART & HUYSHE
Campden, Glos.
George Henry Hart (1882-1973) was one of the original silversmiths who moved with Charles Ashbee and the Guild of Handicraft from London to Chipping Camden in 1902. After 1933 he was joined by his half-brother Reynell Huyshe and the impressed mark on some metal wares was Hart and Huyshe, Campden, Glos.
Hartley, Baxter & Co - Sheffield
HARTLEY, BAXTER & CO
Sheffield
At 82 Tenter St. Sheffield from 1901 to 1904 as Hartley & Baxter & Co Ltd sharing its premises with S. Hibbert & Son. In 1905 moved to 7 Eyre Lane as Hartley & Baxter. From 1933 to 1940 at 40 Matilda St. sharing its premises Harold Jay.
Henry Millington Harwood & Son - Birmingham Henry Millington Harwood & Son - Birmingham
HENRY MILLINGTON HARWOOD & SON
Birmingham
active at Newhall St. Birmingham, c. 1894/1896
Henry Millington Harwood & Henry Hodson Plante  - Birmingham



HENRY MILLINGTON HARWOOD & HENRY HODSON PLANTE
Birmingham
see Henry Hodson Plante for further information
Thomas Harwood & Sons - Birmingham Thomas Harwood - Birmingham Thomas Harwood & Sons - Birmingham
THOMAS HARWOOD
THOMAS HARWOOD & SONS
Birmingham
Thomas Harwood, active in Birmingham as close plater (c.1816) and plater (1845-1864). Succeeded by Thomas Harwood & Sons (1864-1896)
Harwood, Plante & Harrison - Birmingham
HARWOOD, PLANTE & HARRISON
Birmingham
see
Henry Hodson Plante & Co for further information
Edward John Haseler (Haseler Brothers) - Birmingham - possibly
EDWARD JOHN HASELER
HASELER BROTHERS
Birmingham - possibly -
Haseler & Restall - Sheffield (possibly)
HASELER & RESTALL
Sheffield (possibly)
The firm claims to be a silver plate manufacturer since 1851. A sterling silver hallmark was entered in 1946 in Birmingham Assay Office
Aaron Hatfield & Sons - Sheffield
AARON HATFIELD & SONS
Sheffield
Active at Pepper Alley, Sheffield (since 1808) as close platers and silversmiths
Charles Henry Hattersley - Sheffield
CHARLES HENRY HATTERSLEY
Sheffield
Snider Works 105 Napier St, Sheffield (1891-1918). Formerly a partner of Hattersley & Falding
Frank Hawker & Co Ltd - Birmingham
FRANK HAWKER & CO LTD
Birmingham
Carpathian Silver Company active from c.1936 at 44-54 Spencer Street, Birmingham and Fulwood Place, London. The firm used the trade mark CARPATHIAN SILVER
George E. Hawkins - Birmingham George E. Hawkins - Birmingham
GEORGE ERNST HAWKINS
Birmingham
Active from 1888 at 15/16 Legge Ln, Birmingham
George Hawksley & Co - Sheffield George Hawksley & Co - Sheffield
GEORGE HAWKSLEY & CO
Sheffield
Charlotte St.Works (1864-1865) and Carver St, Sheffield (1866-1946). Ceased electroplating in 1867 (succeeded by Edwin John Makin)
Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Sheffield Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Sheffield Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Sheffield Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Sheffield Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Sheffield Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Sheffield
CHARLES HAWKSWORTH & JOHN EYRE
HAWKSWORTH, EYRE & CO
Sheffield
The firm started its trade in 1821 as Blagden, Hodgson & Co producing Old Sheffiel Plate. The firm was converted into Ltd in 1872. The letters C & J stand for Charles & John. Active in Nursery St until 1878 and later in Rockingham St, Sheffield. The firm used also the trademark SIBERIAN SILVER and CAPITAL
M.M. Henderson Ltd - Glasgow
M.M. HENDERSON LTD
Glasgow
Established in Coatbridge by Matthew McLaren Henderson (1886). Converted in 1925 in M.M. Henderson Ltd. Active at 141-143 Argyle Street Glasgow, 143 Princes Street and Shandvick Place Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Airdrie. The firm, owned by Ketling Ltd, was placed in liquidation in 2013 and closed in 2014. The firm traded as Henderson The Jewellers with branches in Airdrie, Ayr, Bishopbriggs, Braehead, Clydebank, Cumbernauld, Dundee, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Kirkcaldy, Motherwell and Newton Mearns.

E.P.N.S. (Electroplated Nickel Silver) and EPBM (Electroplated Britannia Metal) are the most common names attributed to silver plate items. But many other names are used for silver plate:
EPWM - Electroplate on White Metal, EPC - Electroplate on Copper, Argentium, Argentine Plate, Argentum, Ascetic, Austrian Silver, Brazilian Silver, Buxbridge, Electrum, Encore, Exquisite, Insignia Plate, Nevada Silver, Norwegian Silver, Pelican Silver, Potosi Silver, Silverite, Sonora Silver, Spur Silver, Stainless Nickel, Stainless Nickel Silver, Venetian Silver, W.M White Metal,....




WORLDWIDE DIRECTORY OF SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: HISTORY & MARKS
Rogers & Bro. - Waterbury CT hallmarkUSA & Canada     Mappin & Webb hallmarkWalker & Hall hallmarkUK Electroplate     Devices of Old Sheffiel PlateOld Sheffield Plate     Herrmann factory silver plate markContinental/Europe

BRITISH TOWN MARKS AND DATE LETTERS

STERLING SILVER OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND
ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MAKER'S MARKS
AA/AE    AF/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CH    CI/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HG    HH/HZ    IA/IG    IH/IZ    JA/JC    JD/JI    JJ/JP    JQ/JS    JT/JZ    KA/LZ    MA/MZ    NA/PA    PB/PZ    QA/RJ    RK/RZ    SA/SG    SH/SZ    TA/TH    TI/TZ    UA/WB    WC/WF    WG/WL    WM/WS    WT/ZZ   

English home page
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY


These pages were useful? leave your LIKE on facebookgo to facebook page

work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated -