HALLMARKS OF GERMAN SILVER
MARKS AND HALLMARKS OF GERMANY
- 19TH AND 20TH CENTURY (POST 1888) -
This is a page of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu,
a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about
antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver,
silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles,
books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington, Mappin & webb, Reed & Barton),
history, oddities ...
SITE MAP - HOME PAGE
Koch & Bergfeld - Bremen, Kirchweg 200
Founded in Bremen in 1829 by Gottfried Koch and Ludwig Bergfeld (born in Hannover). Executed 1900-10 designs by Hugo Leven, Albin Muller and Henry van de Velde and
in the twenties and thirties by Gustav Elsass and Bernhard Hotger
The firm is still active with a wide production of flatware and holloware
ref: Neuwirth/Markenlexikon für Edle und Unedle Metalle No.286
Art Nouveau and Art deco Silver - by Annelies Krekle-Aalberse, p. 256
"JÄHNE" is a retailer mark. The "16737" is a Koch & Bergfeld's internal
individual order number. They start around 1874 with numb. 1, until 1932 with numb. 82056.
Source: Silber aus Bremen, Hrsg. C.-W. Schümann, Wienand Verlag, Köln 1979, 2nd 1990, p. 112.
H&Co mark belongs to the wholesaler department of Henniger & Co., in Berlin S.W.68, Alte Jacob-Str.
106 [factory and administration]. They had shops in Berlin, Breslau, Dresden-A., Hamburg, Leipzig,
Magdeburg, München. Gebrüder Henniger developed the so baptized "Neusilber" (New Silver
or Nickel Silver), an alloy without any contents of Silver, which should have, be polished, the same
optical appeal as a polished item made from 12 Lot (750/1000) Silver alloy. And they were from about
1842 on in Germany also the first, who have used the Electro Galvanic Plating Process.
The "Key" mark for hollowware was in use from 1942.
Number 8157, is the internal individual order number of Koch & Bergfeld. Numbering started in 1942
with number 1000, until 1978 with number 13158. Source: Silber aus Bremen«, Hrsg. C.-W. Schümann, Wienand
Verlag, Köln 1979, 2nd 1990, p. 112. ISBN 3-87909-096
Lazarus Posen Witwe (Lazarus Posen’s widow)
Berlin & Frankfurt/Main 20th century
ref: Bröhan/Metallkunst der Moderne vol. VI Marke Seite 108, No.87, Scheffler Goldschmiede Hessens No.631
The firm was founded in Frankfurt on the Main in 1869 by Brendina Wetzlar, the widow of Lazarus Jacob Posen,
a silversmith and retailer of Polish descent. Under the widow Posen’s stewardship, the firm became the
largest supplier of Judaica in the late 19th century. Her son Jacob L. Posen joined the firm by 1880, and
by 1900, the company’s large staff of chasers and engravers were producing some of the finest silver in the
country. They received a royal warrant in 1903.
In the 20th century the firm was under the direction of Brendina’s grandsons Jakob, Hermann and Moritz
Posen. In 1938 the company was forcefully closed and looted on Kristallnacht (Night of Broken Glass
- Novemberpogrome: courtesy information Jacob Frank)
click on image for details
work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated -