ENGLISH ELECTROPLATE SILVER

MARKS AND HALLMARKS OF SHEFFIELD AND BIRMINGHAM SILVER PLATE MAKERS
WITH THE ADDITION OF OTHER BRITISH, SCOTTISH AND IRISH MANUFACTURERS



created by Giorgio B. owner of
www.silvercollection.it ©  HOME
English home page
versione italiana page d'accueil en francais

This is a page of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
SITE MAP - HOME PAGE

The two common forms of plated silver are Sheffield plate and silverplate/electroplate.
Sheffield Plate is a cheaper substitute for sterling, produced by fusing sheets of silver to the top and bottom of a sheet of copper or base metal. This 'silver sandwich' was then worked into finished pieces. At first it was only put on one side and later was on top and bottom.
Modern electroplating was invented by Italian chemist Luigi V. Brugnatelli in 1805. Brugnatelli used his colleague Alessandro Volta's invention of five years earlier, the voltaic pile, to facilitate the first electrodeposition. Unfortunately, Brugnatelli's inventions were repressed by the French Academy of Sciences and did not become used in general industry for the following thirty years.
Silver plate or electroplate is formed when a thin layer of pure or sterling silver is deposited electrolytically on the surface of a base metal. By 1839, scientists in Britain and Russia had independently devised metal deposition processes similar to Brugnatelli's for the copper electroplating of printing press plates.
Soon after, John Wright of Birmingham, England, discovered that potassium cyanide was a suitable electrolyte for gold and silver electroplating.
Wright's associates, George Elkington and Henry Elkington were awarded the first patents for electroplating in 1840. These two then founded the electroplating industry in Birmingham England from where it spread around the world.
Common base metals include copper, brass, nickel silver - an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel - and Britannia metal - a tin alloy with 5-10% antimony.
Electroplated materials are often stamped EPNS for electroplated nickel on silver, or EPBM for electroplated Britannia metal.

THE DIRECTORY OF BRITISH ELECTROPLATED SILVER MAKERS: Wi-Wz

SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: MARKS' IMAGE & HISTORY
Aa/Az    Ba/Bd    Be/Bn    Bo/Bz    Ca/Cn    Co/Cz    Da/Dh    Di/Dz    Ea/Eo    Ep/Ez    Fa/Fh    Fi/Fz    Ga/Gn    Go/Gz    Ha/Hh    Hi/Hz    Ia/Jz    Ka/Kz    La/Lz    Ma/Maq    Mar/Mz    Na/Nz    Oa/Oz    Pa/Pg    Ph/Pz    Qa/Rz    Sa/Sh    Si/Sz    Ta/Uz    Va/Vz    Wa/Wh    Wi/Wz    Ya/Yz    Za/Zz    unk.#1    unk.#2    unk.#3    unk.#4   

ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF SILVERPLATE MARKS
AA/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HZ    IA/IZ    JA/JM    JN/KZ    LA/LZ    MA/OZ    PA/QZ    RA/RZ    SA/SZ    TA/UZ    VA/VZ    WA/ZZ   

|THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO SILVERPLATE MARKS|    |UK FIGURAL TRADE MARKS|    |UK TRADE NAME DIRECTORY|    |ALPHABETIC SYMBOLS|    |SILVERPLATE PSEUDO HALLMARKS|    |DATING UK PATENT MARKS|    |OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE|    |ELKINGTON DATE LETTERS|    |WALKER & HALL DATE LETTERS|    |MAPPIN & WEBB DATE LETTERS|    |EPNS - EPBM|    |BRITANNIA METAL|    |UNIDENTIFIED SILVERPLATE MARKS|
John Wigfall & Co - Sheffield John Wigfall & Co - Sheffield John Wigfall & Co - Sheffield
JOHN WIGFALL & CO
Sheffield
Active 1889-1911 at Auckland Works, 37 Eldon St, Sheffield. Under the style of John Wigfall and Company Limited it was a subsidiary of
Joseph Elliot & Sons (Sheffield) Ltd. The firm was established in 1843 and was known as manufacturer of table cutlery of all kinds, shoe, bread and butchers' knives, glaziers', farriers', palette and pruning knives, table and butchers' steels, pen, pocket and sporting knives, razors, scissors, electro-plate spoons and forks, fish carvers etc. The firm used the trademark BONAFIDE.
Charles Wilkes - Birmingham Charles Wilkes - Birmingham
CHARLES WILKES
Birmingham
Active at Mott Street, Birmingham, 1893-1934
George Wilkin - Sheffield
GEORGE WILKIN
Sheffield
Active at Palmerston Works, Sheffield. A similar mark was used by
Charles S. Green & Co
Henry Wilkinson Ltd - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co Ltd - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co Ltd - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co Ltd - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co Ltd - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co  - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co  - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co Ltd - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co - Sheffield Henry Wilkinson & Co - Sheffield
HENRY WILKINSON & CO
HENRY WILKINSON & CO LTD
Sheffield

The founder of the firm was J. Winter in 1760c. In 1829 the firm was active as Henry Wilkinson & Co and in 1872 was converted into a limited liability company under the style Henry Wilkinson & Co Ltd. In 1892 the firm was acquired by
Walker & Hall. The firm used the trade mark SILBO

HENRY WILKINSON HISTORY AND INFORMATION PAGE


Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham - possibly- Thomas Wilkinson & Co Ltd - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Co - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham Thomas Wilkinson & Sons - Birmingham
THOMAS WILKINSON
THOMAS WILKINSON & CO
THOMAS WILKINSON & CO LTD
THOMAS WILKINSON & SONS
Birmingham
Founded by Thomas Wilkinson in 1832. Active at Pelican Works with the trade mark 'Pelican Ware'. In 1840 the firm was active at High Street, Sheffield advertising as "By Special Appointment to Her Majesty". In 1932 the grandsons Arthur William and Francis Isaac sold the business to A.L. Davenport Ltd. Francis Isaac Wilkinson founded in 1934 F.I. Wilkinson & Sons Ltd.
Williams - Birmingham
WILKINSON & SHAW
Birmingham (possibly)
found on a mark accompanied by "crossed keys" trade mark
Williams & Brooke - Sheffield
WILLIAMS & BROOKE
Sheffield
Succeeded to William Williams & Co. Active at 2 Howard Lane, Sheffield (1892-1898)




Arnold E Williams - Birmingham Arnold E Williams - Birmingham Arnold E Williams - Birmingham Falstaff by Arnold E Williams - Birmingham Arnold E Williams - Birmingham Arnold E Williams - Birmingham Falstaff by Arnold E Williams - Birmingham Falstaff by Arnold E Williams - Birmingham
ARNOLD E. WILLIAMS
ARNOLD E. WILLIAMS & SONS LTD
Birmingham
Silversmiths and electroplaters, founded in 1927 by Arnold E. Williams at Arnewill Works, 84 Vyse Street, Birmingham. Later they moved to Falstaff House on the Lichfield Road. The firm participated as electroplater to the 1929 and 1947 British Industries Fairs and used the trade marks
FALSTAFF (registered by Arnold E. Williams & Sons Ltd, October 27, 1949 ) and PENDRAGON
Williams - Birmingham
WILLIAMS (BIRMINGHAM) LTD
Birmingham
Tenby Street, Birmingham. Formerly W. Williams & Co, converted into a limited liability company in 1902 at Hockley Street, Birmingham. In 1912 the factory is listed at King Edward's Road, Birmingham.
James & Joshia Williams - Bristol (possibly) James & Joshia Williams - Bristol (possibly) James & Joshia Williams - Bristol (possibly)
JAMES & JOSHIA WILLIAMS
WILLIAMS & CO
Bristol (possibly)
Active from 1853 at 14 Small St and 18 St. Augustine's St, Bristol. From 1881 the firm changed to Williams & Co.
Henry Williamson & Co Ltd - London Henry Williamson & Co Ltd - London Henry Williamson & Co Ltd - London Henry Williamson & Co Ltd - London
HENRY WILLIAMSON LTD
London
A business established in 1865 by Henry Williamson. The firm was converted into H. Williamson Ltd in 1892 absorbing in 1895 Errington Watch Co.
ACME was a trade mark




Mark Willis - Sheffield (possibly) Mark Willis - Sheffield Mark Willis & Son - Sheffield
MARK WILLIS
MARK WILLIS & SON
Sheffield
Active at Exchange Works, 56 Fargate (1872-1881)and Tudor Place (1882-1885). In 1886 the firm changed its style in Mark Willis & Son at 207 Rockingham St. Converted into a limited liability company in 1904. Out of business in 1918
Frederick Wilson & Co - Sheffield Frederick Wilson & Co - Sheffield (possibly)
FREDERICK WILSON & CO
Sheffield
Formerly Wilson & Davis. Active at Hatton Works, 32 Eyre St. (1882-1887) and 9-13 Cavendish St. (1888-1910). The firm became Travis Wilson & Co Ltd in 1916. The firm entered a similar mark (F.W) for sterling silver at Sheffield (1882) and London (1886) Assay Offices. The company, as its precedessor Wilson & Davis, used a mark L & S to indicate its activity in London and Sheffield
Wilson & Davis - London and Sheffield Wilson & Davis - London and Sheffield Wilson & Davis - London and Sheffield Wilson & Davis - London and Sheffield Wilson & Davis - London and Sheffield Wilson & Davis - London and Sheffield
WILSON & DAVIS
London and Sheffield
A partnership of Frederick Wilson and William (Pittman) Davis at Hatton Works, Eyre St, Sheffield and at 10 Hatton Garden, London (1870-1883). The partnership was dissolved in 1883 and the firm continued its activity under the style Frederick Wilson & Co. The company used a mark L & S to indicate its activity in London and Sheffield




Wilson & Gill - London Wilson & Gill - London
WILSON & GILL
London
Business established in 1892 by
Samuel Wilson and Robert Valentine Gill at 134 Regent Street, London. They were joined by Victor Clarke in 1913. Later the firm was transformed into Wilson & Gill Ltd (1946) and Wilson & Gill (1971) Ltd. From 1947 the business, still active in present days, is in the property of Clarke family
Wilson & Sharp - Edinburgh Wilson & Sharp - Edinburgh
WILSON & SHARP
Edinburgh
Active in Edinburgh since 1901 and managed by Robert Wilson and Andrew Sharp. The firm was registered as Jewellers & Silversmiths (1921-c.1961), as Goldsmiths & Silversmiths (1939) and became Wilson & Sharp Ltd (c.1935)
S S Wing & Co - Sheffield S S Wing & Co - Sheffield
SAMUEL SIMS WING
S S WING & CO
S S WING & CO LTD
Sheffield
Active at 145 and 117 Eldon St, Sheffield (1889-1910). Changed to SS Wing & Co in 1897 and to SS Wing & Co Ltd in 1900
Wingfield, Rowbotham & Co - Sheffield Wingfield, Rowbotham & Co - Sheffield Wade, Wingfield, Rowbotham - Sheffield Wade, Wingfield, Rowbotham - Sheffield Wingfield, Rowbotham & Co - Sheffield Wingfield, Rowbotham & Co - Sheffield: ALBA trademark Wingfield, Rowbotham & Co - Sheffield 'CROWNED HARP' trademark
WINGFIELD, ROWBOTHAM & CO
Sheffield
Business established in 1751. Active at Suffolk Rd and
82 Tenter St, Sheffield (1889-1929) and 321 High Holborn, London. Successors to Wade, Wingfield & Rowbotham. The firm used the trade marks "CROWNED HARP" (figural) and ALBA




W.T. Wiseman & Co - Birmingham (possibly)
W.T. WISEMAN & CO
Birmingham (possibly)
c. 1910
George Wish - Sheffield George Wish - Sheffield George Wish - Sheffield George Wish - Sheffield George Wish - Sheffield
GEORGE WISH
Sheffield
George Wish was active in Sheffield
(Denmark Works, Norfolk Lane) until 1877 trading with William Henry Sampson under the style Sampson & Wish. After the dissolution of the partnership with Sampson he continued the business at the same address moving in 1893 its Denmark Works to Burgess Street. In 1914 the business was converted into a limited liability company under the style of George Wish & Co Ltd.
a generic mark for White Metal
W.M.

a generic mark for White Metal used together or inside maker's mark
Joseph Wolstenholme - Sheffield: 1824-1857 Joseph Wolstenholme - Sheffield: 1824-1857 Trade card of Joseph Wolstenholme c. 1850 Joseph Wolstenholme - Sheffield Joseph Wolstenholme (possibly) Joseph Wolstenholme - Sheffield (possibly)
JOSEPH WOLSTENHOLME
Sheffield
Active at Broad Street Park since 1824. Started electroplating in 1850. From 1857 the firm was managed by his son W.F. Wolstenholme, possibly succeded by
George Cutts (c. 1862).
W. Wolstenholme & Son - Sheffield
W. WOLSTENHOLME & SON
Sheffield
Active at Ecclesall Works, Rockingam Road, Sheffield (v. 1893)
Wolstenholme & Biggin - Sheffield
WOLSTENHOLME & BIGGIN
Sheffield
Active at Matilda Works, 117 Matilda St, Sheffield (1876-1881). Succeeded to Wolstenholme, Maclaurin & Co
PURE GUIDO SILVER a possible trade name of Frank Wood - Sheffield Frank Wood - Sheffield (possibly)
FRANK WOOD
Sheffield (possibly)
The "tiller" figural mark was used by
I. Guide & Co, Sheffield. A source suggests that, when in connection with the maker's mark "FW" and "PURE GUIDO SILVER" trade name, it possibly belonged to Frank Wood active at Helm Works, 41 Arundel Street and Donnington Road, in 1905.
Woodcock & Hardy - Sheffield
WOODCOCK & HARDY
Sheffield
Active at Eldon Place, 145 Eldon Street, Sheffield (1881-1897). Succeeded to Ridge, Woodcock & Hardy
Horace Woodward & Co - Birmingham Horace Woodward & Co - Birmingham: Atlas figural trademark Horace Woodward & Co - Birmingham Horace Woodward & Co - Birmingham Horace Woodward & Co - Birmingham Horace Woodward & Co - Birmingham Horace Woodward & Co - Birmingham
HORACE WOODWARD & CO
HORACE WOODWARD & CO LTD
Birmingham
The firm was established in mid 19th century by George Cartwright and Joseph Hirons under the style Cartwright & Hirons. In 1853 they were joined by Horace Woodward and the style changed to Cartwright, Hirons & Woodward. In 1859 the firm became Cartwright & Woodward and in 1865 the business was continued by Horace Woodward under the style Horace Woodward & Co. In 1893 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style Horace Woodward & Co Ltd. The firm used a figural trade mark (the shape of
Atlas into a lozenge) registered in 1876.
The company was acquired by Adie Brothers Ltd in 1919.

HORACE WOODWARD HISTORY AND INFORMATION PAGE


Wooley & Co - Birmingham
WOOLEY & CO
Birmingham
c. 1890
Thomas Woolley Thomas Woolley - Birmingham Thomas Woolley - Birmingham Thomas Woolley - Birmingham
THOMAS WOOLLEY (possibly)
Birmingham
According to another source the mark T.W. refers to
Thomas White, Sheffield (both used a T.W mark into an oval and into a rectangle)
B. Worth & Sons - Sheffield
B.WORTH & SONS
Sheffield
active 1899-1916
Richard Wright - Manchester
RICHARD WRIGHT
Manchester
A manufacturer of which I find no trace in Manchester, responsible for what must have been enormous exports to Morocco of silver-plate from the 1830s onwards, perhaps well into the latter part of the century (tea-trays,caddies, sugar boxes and tea-pots). Possibly an identity created or taken over by Jewish or Muslim Moroccan traders in Manchester as an export brand for their home country. It is also possible that his work came to be imitated in Morocco, and that later "Wright" pieces are local copies.
J.A. Wylie & Co - London
J.A. WYLIE & CO
London
active c. 1905 at 62 Holborn Viaduct (partner James Arthur Wylie)

E.P.N.S. (Electroplated Nickel Silver) and EPBM (Electroplated Britannia Metal) are the most common names attributed to silver plate items. But many other names are used for silver plate:
EPWM - Electroplate on White Metal, EPC - Electroplate on Copper, Argentium, Argentine Plate, Argentum, Ascetic, Austrian Silver, Brazilian Silver, Buxbridge, Electrum, Encore, Exquisite, Insignia Plate, Nevada Silver, Norwegian Silver, Pelican Silver, Potosi Silver, Silverite, Sonora Silver, Spur Silver, Stainless Nickel, Stainless Nickel Silver, Venetian Silver, W.M White Metal,....





WORLDWIDE DIRECTORY OF SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: HISTORY & MARKS
Rogers & Bro. - Waterbury CT hallmarkUSA & Canada     Mappin & Webb hallmarkWalker & Hall hallmarkUK Electroplate     Devices of Old Sheffiel PlateOld Sheffield Plate     Herrmann factory silver plate markContinental/Europe

BRITISH TOWN MARKS AND DATE LETTERS

STERLING SILVER OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND
ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MAKER'S MARKS
AA/AE    AF/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CH    CI/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HG    HH/HZ    IA/IG    IH/IZ    JA/JC    JD/JI    JJ/JP    JQ/JS    JT/JZ    KA/LZ    MA/MZ    NA/PA    PB/PZ    QA/RJ    RK/RZ    SA/SG    SH/SZ    TA/TH    TI/TZ    UA/WB    WC/WF    WG/WL    WM/WS    WT/ZZ   

English home page
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY


These pages were useful? leave your LIKE on facebookgo to facebook page

work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated -