ENGLISH ELECTROPLATE SILVER

MARKS AND HALLMARKS OF SHEFFIELD AND BIRMINGHAM SILVER PLATE MAKERS
WITH THE ADDITION OF OTHER BRITISH, SCOTTISH AND IRISH MANUFACTURERS



created by Giorgio B. owner of
www.silvercollection.it ©  HOME
English home page
versione italiana page d'accueil en francais

This is a page of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
SITE MAP - HOME PAGE

The two common forms of plated silver are Sheffield plate and silverplate/electroplate.
Sheffield Plate is a cheaper substitute for sterling, produced by fusing sheets of silver to the top and bottom of a sheet of copper or base metal. This 'silver sandwich' was then worked into finished pieces. At first it was only put on one side and later was on top and bottom.
Modern electroplating was invented by Italian chemist Luigi V. Brugnatelli in 1805. Brugnatelli used his colleague Alessandro Volta's invention of five years earlier, the voltaic pile, to facilitate the first electrodeposition. Unfortunately, Brugnatelli's inventions were repressed by the French Academy of Sciences and did not become used in general industry for the following thirty years.
Silver plate or electroplate is formed when a thin layer of pure or sterling silver is deposited electrolytically on the surface of a base metal. By 1839, scientists in Britain and Russia had independently devised metal deposition processes similar to Brugnatelli's for the copper electroplating of printing press plates.
Soon after, John Wright of Birmingham, England, discovered that potassium cyanide was a suitable electrolyte for gold and silver electroplating.
Wright's associates, George Elkington and Henry Elkington were awarded the first patents for electroplating in 1840. These two then founded the electroplating industry in Birmingham England from where it spread around the world.
Common base metals include copper, brass, nickel silver - an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel - and Britannia metal - a tin alloy with 5-10% antimony.
Electroplated materials are often stamped EPNS for electroplated nickel on silver, or EPBM for electroplated Britannia metal.

THE DIRECTORY OF BRITISH ELECTROPLATED SILVER MAKERS: Wa-Wh

SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: MARKS' IMAGE & HISTORY
Aa/Az    Ba/Bd    Be/Bn    Bo/Bz    Ca/Cn    Co/Cz    Da/Dh    Di/Dz    Ea/Eo    Ep/Ez    Fa/Fh    Fi/Fz    Ga/Gn    Go/Gz    Ha/Hh    Hi/Hz    Ia/Jz    Ka/Kz    La/Lz    Ma/Maq    Mar/Mz    Na/Nz    Oa/Oz    Pa/Pg    Ph/Pz    Qa/Rz    Sa/Sh    Si/Sz    Ta/Uz    Va/Vz    Wa/Wh    Wi/Wz    Ya/Yz    Za/Zz    unk.#1    unk.#2    unk.#3    unk.#4   

ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF SILVERPLATE MARKS
AA/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HZ    IA/IZ    JA/JM    JN/KZ    LA/LZ    MA/OZ    PA/QZ    RA/RZ    SA/SZ    TA/UZ    VA/VZ    WA/ZZ   

|THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO SILVERPLATE MARKS|    |UK FIGURAL TRADE MARKS|    |UK TRADE NAME DIRECTORY|    |ALPHABETIC SYMBOLS|    |SILVERPLATE PSEUDO HALLMARKS|    |DATING UK PATENT MARKS|    |OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE|    |ELKINGTON DATE LETTERS|    |WALKER & HALL DATE LETTERS|    |MAPPIN & WEBB DATE LETTERS|    |EPNS - EPBM|    |BRITANNIA METAL|    |UNIDENTIFIED SILVERPLATE MARKS|
Wade, Wingfield & Rowbotham - Sheffield
WADE, WINGFIELD, ROWBOTHAM & CO
WADE, WINGFIELD & ROWBOTHAM
Sheffield

succeeded in 1832 to Wade, Wingfield, Rowbotham, and Co. The partnership between Richard Wade, John Wingfield, John Rowbotham, Alfred Rowbotham and Henry Colley was dissolved in 1851. They were Merchants, Steel Converters, and Manufacturers of Table and Pocket Knives, Files, Saws, and Razors and were succeeded by Wingfield, Rowbotham & Company (partnership of John Wingfield, Alfred Rowbotham and Henry Colley)
Walker & Co - Sheffield: trade mark HOMELAND C.P. Walker & Co Ltd C.P. Walker & Co Ltd
C.P. WALKER & CO LTD
Sheffield

Founded in 1907. Produced pewter from 1930 to 1935 using the trademark "HOMELAND". Active at St. Mary's St. 1907-1912; 21 Cambridge St, 1913-1918; 91 Button St, 1919-1935. In 1924 the firm became a limited company and produced electroplated wares.
Walker & Co - Sheffield
WALKER AND CO
WALKER, COULSON AND HALL
Sheffield

Partnership founded in 1845 active as electroplaters and gilders at 11 Howard Street, Sheffield, between George Walker, Samuel Coulson and William Robson. In 1848 William Robson left and Henry Hall entered in the partnership. In 1853 Walker & Hall was founded at the same address.
Walker Brothers - Birmingham
WALKER BROTHERS
Birmingham

Active at 69 Victoria St, Birmingham (1882 - c.1903)
James Walker - London James Walker - London: CENTURY PLATE trademark James Walker - London James Walker - London
JAMES WALKER
JAMES WALKER LTD
London

The firm was founded in c. 1902 by Sidney Sanders and William Metherell. From 1907 the firm operated as Sanders & Co and later acquired the name James Walker from a jewelers shop in Peckham (established in 1823). In the 1920s the company was dissolved forming two new companies, James Walker and Sanders & Co. In 1969 the two companies were amalgamated as James Walker, Jeweller. The James Walker group was sold off in 1984 to H. Samuel, becoming later part of the Ratners jewellery Company. The firm had its headquarters and workshop at Century House Streatham using the trade mark CENTURY PLATE
Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield: patetnt 1878 Walker & Hall - Sheffield: trade mark ORAMA Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall NZ ltd Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall Oruba Silver - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall Palace Silver - Sheffield Walker & Hall Zeehan Silver - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield Walker & Hall - Sheffield trade mark Walker & Hall - Sheffield
WALKER & HALL
Sheffield

The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by George Walker. Becoming an assistant of Dr. John Wright who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by Henry Hall and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holbornn Viaduct, London. Wholesale stock and showrooms were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne Sydney and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa), Wellington (1911) Auckland (1914) Christchurch and Dunedin in New Zealand. Walker and Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. DISRAELI SILVER, FLAG PLATE, ORAMA, ORUBA, PALACE SILVER, SONORA SILVER, ZEEHAN SILVER are some of the trade marks used by the firm
Walker & Hall - Sheffield with NSPW mark
unknown the meaning of NSPW mark (suggestions are welcome)

WALKER & HALL: HISTORY AND INFORMATION PAGE

WALKER & HALL DATE LETTERS

OLD IMAGES OF THE FACTORY


Ancient advertising with Walker & Hall Factory Walker & Hall Factory, 1891 Walker & Hall Factory, 1900




OSP mark of Walker, Knowles & Co -  Sheffield and London Walker, Knowles & Co -  Sheffield and London
WALKER, KNOWLES & CO
Sheffield and London (possibly)

A long lasting partnership of Henry Greaves Walker and John Knowles under the firm of Walker, Knowles, and Company (hallmark entered in Sheffield Assay Office in 1836). They were silversmiths, manufacturers of Old Sheffield Plate and, later, electroplaters. Active at 55 Burgess street, Sheffield and 17 Buckingham street, Strand, London. The partnership was dissolved on November 1, 1860 and the business was continued by John Knowles solely on his own account, under the style of John Knowles and Son.
In 1909 Knowles & Sons, whose partner was George Goddard Knowles, was active as wholesale and manufacturing jewellers at 3,4 & 5 Belfast Chambers, 7 Beak Street, Regent Street, London. In 1911 G.G. Knowles joined for a short living partnership (closed in 1916) to Fredericks Ltd under the name Fredericks, Knowles & Co Ltd.
John Walters & Co -  Sheffield
JOHN WALTERS & CO
Sheffield

John Lolewell Walters (1804-1868), active in Burgess Street, Sheffield from 1841 as maker of table and dessert knives and forks, and palette knives. In 1846 the company moved to Carver Street and in 1850 to part of Ibbotson Brothers' Globe Works in Neepsend (in 1862 Ibbotson vacated the Globe Works and it became associated entirely with John Walters). In 1865, Globe Works was occupied by Unwin & Rodgers, which acquired Walters's name and trade marks
George Ward - Sheffield & Manchester
GEORGE WARD
Sheffield & Manchester
Active at Exchange Street, Sheffield (c.1846)
T.W. Ward -  Sheffield
T.W. WARD
Sheffield

Thomas William Ward, active at Albion Works, Savile St, Sheffield (c.1853-1919). The firm used the trade mark BIRD IN HAND
Thomas Ward & Sons Ltd -  Sheffield Thomas Ward & Sons Ltd -  Sheffield: Hastings Plate trademark Thomas Ward & Sons Ltd -  Sheffield: Wardonia Plate trademark
THOMAS WARD & SONS LTD
Sheffield

Thomas Watkins Ward, originally founded his cutlery company in Warrington, Lancashire, however, by 1927 it was listed as being a cutlery and razor blade manufacturer in Wardonia Works, Countess Rd, Sheffield (1928-1952). The firm used the trade mark WARDONIA PLATE and HASTINGS PLATE
W. & S. Ward - Manchester
W & S WARD
Manchester
Active at St. Mary Gate, Manchester (c.1858)
Waring & Gillow - Lancaster
WARING & GILLOW LTD
Lancaster

A retailer business of a noted firm of English furniture manufacturers formed in 1897 by the merger of Gillow of Lancaster and Waring of Liverpool. The firm of Gillow's of Lancaster can be traced back to the luxury furniture and furnishings firm founded by Robert Gillow (1704-72) in 1730.
George Warriss - Sheffield
GEORGE WARRISS
GEORGE WARRISS & SONS
WARRISS & COMPANY (SHEFFIELD) LTD
Sheffield

George Warriss (1827-1906) active in School of Art Works Arundel Street (c.1850) and 32 Howard Street, Sheffield (1885). From 1906 the firm was styled George Warriss & Sons (John Henry Warriss,1848-1915, and George Connerath Warriss, 1861-1942). In 1946, the firm was incorporated as Warriss & Co (Sheffield) Ltd at Eyre Street moving to Arundel Street about 1973. In 2008 the company went out of business and the name was acquired by Pinder Bros.




The Watchmakers' Alliance & Ernest Goode's Stores Ltd - London
WATCHMAKERS' ALLIANCE & ERNEST GOODE'S STORES LTD
London

A mail order business active in London, Oxford Street 184 (1885-1903)
George Waterhouse & Co - Sheffield George Waterhouse & Co - Sheffield George Waterhouse & Co - Sheffield George Waterhouse & Co - Sheffield
GEORGE WATERHOUSE & CO
Sheffield (possibly)

active at 75 Carver Street, Sheffield
Watson & Gillott - Sheffield: CALEDONIA SILVER trademark Watson & Gillott - Sheffield Watson & Gillott - Sheffield Watson & Gillott - Sheffield Watson & Gillott - Sheffield Watson & Gillott - Sheffield Watson & Gillott- Sheffield
WATSON & GILLOTT
Sheffield

A partnership of William Watson and Herbert Gillott established in 1896. Cutlery manufacturers active at 23 Furnival St, (1897-1899) and Caledonia Plate Works 26 Eyre Lane, Sheffield (1900-1940). The firm used the trade mark CALEDONIA SILVER

SILVER ADVERTISEMENTS


William Webster - Sheffield
WILLIAM WEBSTER
Sheffield

Succeeded to Webster & Johnson at Sycamore Works, 14 Sycamore St, Sheffield (1864-1897). Became William Webster & Son c. 1870
James Weir - Glasgow
JAMES WEIR
Glasgow

Jewellers & silversmiths at Buchanan Street, Glasgow. The firm became J Weir Ltd after c1920
Weir & Sons, Dublin
WEIR & SONS
Dublin

Founded in 1869 by Thomas Weir, Weir & Sons has grown to become one of Dublins best recognised retailers. The company is still a family run business and currently has fourth and fifth generation family members working in it
Daniel Welby & Co - London Daniel Welby & Co - London Daniel Welby & Co - London
DANIEL WELBY & CO
London

active from 1897
Joseph westby & Co - Sheffield
JOSEPH WESTBY & CO
Sheffield

Active at Times Buildings, Bow St, Sheffield (1900-1911). Joseph Westby succeeded to his father John Westby, active at 20 Cambridge St, Sheffield (since 1894)




W.H. Weston - Birmingham (possibly)
W.H. WESTON
Birmingham (possibly)

Richard Hines trading as W.H. Weston at 115 Barr St (c. 1933-1937) and later at 38 Frederick St, Birmingham.
Wheaton & Bennett - London
WHEATON & BENNETT
London

Possibly a retailer active at 104/108 Oxford Street, London
George Harry Whitaker - Sheffield George Henry Whittaker - Sheffield
GEORGE HARRY WHITAKER
GEORGE HARRY WHITAKER & CO
Sheffield

Active at Pool Square, Fargate (1881-1885), Westfield Terrace (1886-1891), Cavendish St. and 17-21 Convent Walk (1892-1908), Wheeldon St (1909-1911)




Thomas White (possibly) Thomas White Thomas White Thomas White Thomas White Thomas White Thomas White
THOMAS WHITE
Sheffield

Active at 21 Westfield Terrace, Sheffield (1872-1891). Trade mark "The Squirrel"
According to another source the mark T.W refers to Thomas Woolley (both used a T.W mark into an oval and into a rectangle)

White & Hawkins - Birmingham
WHITE & HAWKINS
Birmingham

Partnership of Charles Henry White and Francis Henry Hawkins, manufacturers of silver and electro plated wares, active at 96 Albion Street (1858) and 15/16 Legge Lane, Birmingham. The partnership was dissolved in 1885 and F.H. Hawkins continued the business in his own name.

White, Henderson & Co
WHITE & JOHNSTONE
Sheffield

manufacturer of "silver & electro-silver plated goods". Active c.1862 in North Street, Sheffield
White, Henderson & Co
WHITE, HENDERSON & CO
Sheffield

Active (1866-1878) at Elcho Works, Burgess Street, Sheffield
Frederick Whitehouse - Birmingham (possibly): AFGAN SILVER trademark FFrederick Whitehouse - Birmingham: ELECTRO IMPERIAL trademark Frederick Whitehouse - Birmingham (possibly) Frederick Whitehouse - Afghan Silver - Birmingham (possibly) Frederick Whitehouse - Birmingham (possibly)
FREDERICK WHITEHOUSE
FREDERICK WHITEHOUSE & CO
Birmingham

Formerly Benjamin Spittle. Active at Lion Works, Warstone Lane, Birmingham. The firm used the trademarks IMPERIAL, ELECTRO IMPERIAL and (possibly) AFGHAN SILVER. The trade name BRAZILIAN SILVER, property of Daniel & Arter was used without authorisation by Frederick Whitehouse & Co in the period 1885-1897.

E.P.N.S. (Electroplated Nickel Silver) and EPBM (Electroplated Britannia Metal) are the most common names attributed to silver plate items. But many other names are used for silver plate:
EPWM - Electroplate on White Metal, EPC - Electroplate on Copper, Argentium, Argentine Plate, Argentum, Ascetic, Austrian Silver, Brazilian Silver, Buxbridge, Electrum, Encore, Exquisite, Insignia Plate, Nevada Silver, Norwegian Silver, Pelican Silver, Potosi Silver, Silverite, Sonora Silver, Spur Silver, Stainless Nickel, Stainless Nickel Silver, Venetian Silver, W.M White Metal,....





WORLDWIDE DIRECTORY OF SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: HISTORY & MARKS
Rogers & Bro. - Waterbury CT hallmarkUSA & Canada     Mappin & Webb hallmarkWalker & Hall hallmarkUK Electroplate     Devices of Old Sheffiel PlateOld Sheffield Plate     Herrmann factory silver plate markContinental/Europe

BRITISH TOWN MARKS AND DATE LETTERS

STERLING SILVER OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND
ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MAKER'S MARKS
AA/AE    AF/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CH    CI/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HG    HH/HZ    IA/IG    IH/IZ    JA/JC    JD/JI    JJ/JP    JQ/JS    JT/JZ    KA/LZ    MA/MZ    NA/PA    PB/PZ    QA/RJ    RK/RZ    SA/SG    SH/SZ    TA/TH    TI/TZ    UA/WB    WC/WF    WG/WL    WM/WS    WT/ZZ   

English home page
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY


These pages were useful? leave your LIKE on facebookgo to facebook page

work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated -