ENGLISH ELECTROPLATE SILVER

MARKS AND HALLMARKS OF SHEFFIELD AND BIRMINGHAM SILVER PLATE MAKERS
WITH THE ADDITION OF OTHER BRITISH, SCOTTISH AND IRISH MANUFACTURERS



created by Giorgio B. owner of
www.silvercollection.it ©  HOME
English home page
versione italiana page d'accueil en francais

This is a page of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
SITE MAP - HOME PAGE

The two common forms of plated silver are Sheffield plate and silverplate/electroplate.
Sheffield Plate is a cheaper substitute for sterling, produced by fusing sheets of silver to the top and bottom of a sheet of copper or base metal. This 'silver sandwich' was then worked into finished pieces. At first it was only put on one side and later was on top and bottom.
Modern electroplating was invented by Italian chemist Luigi V. Brugnatelli in 1805. Brugnatelli used his colleague Alessandro Volta's invention of five years earlier, the voltaic pile, to facilitate the first electrodeposition. Unfortunately, Brugnatelli's inventions were repressed by the French Academy of Sciences and did not become used in general industry for the following thirty years.
Silver plate or electroplate is formed when a thin layer of pure or sterling silver is deposited electrolytically on the surface of a base metal. By 1839, scientists in Britain and Russia had independently devised metal deposition processes similar to Brugnatelli's for the copper electroplating of printing press plates.
Soon after, John Wright of Birmingham, England, discovered that potassium cyanide was a suitable electrolyte for gold and silver electroplating.
Wright's associates, George Elkington and Henry Elkington were awarded the first patents for electroplating in 1840. These two then founded the electroplating industry in Birmingham England from where it spread around the world.
Common base metals include copper, brass, nickel silver - an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel - and Britannia metal - a tin alloy with 5-10% antimony.
Electroplated materials are often stamped EPNS for electroplated nickel on silver, or EPBM for electroplated Britannia metal.

THE DIRECTORY OF BRITISH ELECTROPLATED SILVER MAKERS: Ma-Maq

SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: MARKS' IMAGE & HISTORY
Aa/Az    Ba/Bd    Be/Bn    Bo/Bz    Ca/Cn    Co/Cz    Da/Dh    Di/Dz    Ea/Eo    Ep/Ez    Fa/Fh    Fi/Fz    Ga/Gn    Go/Gz    Ha/Hh    Hi/Hz    Ia/Jz    Ka/Kz    La/Lz    Ma/Maq    Mar/Mz    Na/Nz    Oa/Oz    Pa/Pg    Ph/Pz    Qa/Rz    Sa/Sh    Si/Sz    Ta/Uz    Va/Vz    Wa/Wh    Wi/Wz    Ya/Yz    Za/Zz    unk.#1    unk.#2    unk.#3    unk.#4   

ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF SILVERPLATE MARKS
AA/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HZ    IA/IZ    JA/JM    JN/KZ    LA/LZ    MA/OZ    PA/QZ    RA/RZ    SA/SZ    TA/UZ    VA/VZ    WA/ZZ   

|THE STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO SILVERPLATE MARKS|    |UK FIGURAL TRADE MARKS|    |UK TRADE NAME DIRECTORY|    |ALPHABETIC SYMBOLS|    |SILVERPLATE PSEUDO HALLMARKS|    |DATING UK PATENT MARKS|    |OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE|    |ELKINGTON DATE LETTERS|    |WALKER & HALL DATE LETTERS|    |MAPPIN & WEBB DATE LETTERS|    |EPNS - EPBM|    |BRITANNIA METAL|    |UNIDENTIFIED SILVERPLATE MARKS|
Mackay & Chisholm (retailer) - Edinburgh Mackay & Chisholm - Edinburgh
MACKAY & CHISHOLM
Edinburgh
Firm founded in 1835 (49 Newbuildings, Edinburgh). Active at 57 Princes Street (from 1879) and 59 Princes Street, Edinburgh (from 1908 to present)




Mackay Cunningham & Co - Edinburgh Mackay Cunningham & Co - Edinburgh Mackay Cunningham & Co - Edinburgh
MACKAY & CUNNINGHAM
MACKAY CUNNINGHAM & CO
Edinburgh
The firm was active c1824-c1930s. The partnership of James Mackay and David Cunningham was established sometime before 1824 at 40 South Bridge, Edinburgh. Became Mackay Cunningham & Co 'Goldsmiths to the Queen' by 1856, later at 54 Princes Street. In 1873 the firm was recorded as 'Goldsmiths to the Queen, HRH Prince of Wales, watchmakers, and manufacturers and designers of Scottish jewellery'. Taken over by James Hardy & Co. Ltd. by 1912.
Maclaurin & Dennis - Sheffield
MACLAURIN & DENNIS
Sheffield
No information found
Maclaurin Brothers - Sheffield
MACLAURIN BROTHERS
Sheffield
Active at Sidney Works, 23-20 Sydney St, Sheffield (1871-1925). The firm was founded by the sons of James Maclaurin owner of James Maclaurin & Sons, Boston Works, 70 Bowden St, Sheffield (1865-1870)
George Maclaurin & Son - Sheffield
GEORGE MACLAURIN
GEORGE MACLAURIN & SON
GEORGE MACLAURIN & SON LTD
Sheffield
Active at 66 Cecil Road and 117 Matilda St, Sheffield
Herbert Maclaurin & Son - Sheffield Herbert Maclaurin - Sheffield
HERBERT MACLAURIN
Sheffield
Herbert Maclaurin (born 1865) active at Matilda Works (1894-1915) and Sylvester St, Sheffield (1916-1923). Succeeded in 1894 to his father George Maclaurin (born 1839) working in Matilda Works since 1881 (formerly belonging to Wolstenholme & Biggin). The firm used the trade mark INTRINSIC
Charles T. Maine - Jersey
CHARLES T. MAINE
Jersey
A retailer jeweller, optician, and watch and clock repairer. In 1890 he purchased the business of H. Holinshed (formerly John Le Gallais). The business continues in the same family
Edwin John Makin, Sheffield an advertisement of Edwin John Makin, Sheffield
EDWIN JOHN MAKIN
Sheffield
Charlotte Street Works. Succeeded to George Hawksley & Co




Joseph Makin, Sheffield
JOSEPH MAKIN
JOSEPH MAKIN & CO
Sheffield
An Old Sheffield Plate manufacturer active in Sheffield (Pickle), 1786 and 1798
Maleham & Yeomans - Sheffield Maleham & Yeomans - Sheffield Maleham & Yeomans - Sheffield (attribution not documented)
MALEHAM & YEOMANS
MALEHAM & YEOMANS LTD
Sheffield
Maleham & Yeomans, the partnership of two brothers-in-law, George Edgar Maleham (1850-1922) and Thomas Shillito(e) Yeomans (1852-1940), started in 1876 as merchants/manufacturers cutlers at Burgess Works in Burgess Street, Sheffield moving in 1879 to Bowdon Street/Milton Street. A sterling silver mark (M & Y into and oval) was registered in Sheffield Assay Office in 1901 and used also for silverplate. The partnership was dissolved in 1912. The business continued at 49 Bowdon Street until the mid-1960s takeover by Joseph Rodgers.
William Mammatt & Sons - Sheffield William Mammatt & Sons - Sheffield An advertisement of William Mammatt, Albion Works - Sheffield
WILLIAM MAMMATT
WILLIAM MAMMATT & SONS
Sheffield
Active at Albion Plate Works, 119-121 Arundel St, (1886-1896), Portland Works, Randall St and 35-37 Townshead St, Sheffield (1897-1906). The firm succeeded William Mammatt, 18 Arundel St (1863-1864), 82 Division St (1861-1867) and 121 Arundel St, Sheffield (1882-1885). Between 1864 and 1867 the firm traded as Mammatt, Buxton & Co. In 1901 Maxfield & Sons and the associated businesses of J.& J. Maxfield and W.Mammatt & Sons were converted into a single liability company under the style of J. & J. Maxfield Ltd and in 1908 was reformed as
Maxfield & Sons (Silversmiths) Ltd.
The firm used a facing left "BEAVER" figural trademark.
A similar trademark was used from the associated business Maxfield & Sons, by John Sherwood & Sons of Birmingham and by Fairfax & Roberts (an Australian silver retailer active in Sydney in the 1920s)
William Mammatt, George Albert Buxton & Co - Sheffield William Mammatt, George Albert Buxton & Co - Sheffield
MAMMATT, BUXTON & CO
Sheffield
The firm succeeded William Mammatt (18 Arundel St, 1863-1867) and was active at Arundel Plate Works, 32 Eyre St, Sheffield (1864-1857). The partnership was dissolved in 1867 and William Mammatt traded solely at 82 Division St (1867-1881) and at Albion Works, 121 Arundel St (1882-1885). The firm became William Mammatt & Sons in 1886, active in Albion Works until 1896 and in Portland Works (1897-1906). In 1901 Maxfield & Sons and the associated businesses of J.& J. Maxfield and W.Mammatt & Sons were converted into a single liability company under the style of J. & J. Maxfield Ltd and in 1908 was reformed as
Maxfield & Sons (Silversmiths) Ltd.




William Manton & Son
WILLIAM MANTON & SON
Birmingham
Vyse Street, Birmingham
Maple & Co Ltd - London Maple & Co Ltd - London
MAPLE & CO LTD
London
retail business established by John Maple in Tottenham Court Road in 1841. Became Maple & Co Ltd in 1891 and closed in 1997.
Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb Ltd - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield & London Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Co - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield: EMBASSY PLATE trademark Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield (possibly) Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield, IXION trademark Mappin & Webb - Sheffield, IXION trademark Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield Mappin & Webb - Sheffield
MAPPIN & WEBB
Sheffield & London
The origins of the company date back to 1810 (founder Joseph Mappin Sr, 1766-1841) and later as Joseph Mappin & Son. In 1828 Joseph Jr (1794-1841) left his father, entered in partnership with George Arundel (Arundel & Mappin) and continued the activity as
Joseph Mappin after the retirement of Arundel (1835). In the same year (1835) was registered the corporate trade mark (a "sun"). At the death of Joseph Mappin Jr. (1841) his elder son Frederick Thorpe Mappin was left as nominal head of both the firm and his three younger brothers: Edward (1826-1875), Joseph Charles (1828-1901), and John Newton (1835-1913). Despite his young age, Frederick proved to be an excellent businessman leading the company with success, initially as Joseph Mappin & Brothers and from 1852 as Mappin Brothers. In 1851 the production was transferred to the new Queens Plate & Cutlery Works, the company participated with its full production to the London Great Exhibition and showrooms were opened in London. In 1857, the youngest brother, John Newton Mappin, became a partner. However, in 1859 Mappin Brothers was dissolved. Edward and Joseph Charles purchased the business and the rights to the name "Mappin Bros" and Frederick retired. John Newton founded the new company Mappin & Co, later renamed Mappin, Webb & Co and in 1868 Mappin & Webb & Co. Edward and Joseph Charles tried to forbid to John Newton the use of the name "Mappin". They lost their lawsuit but the dispute about the rights to the name continued until the 1890s. Mappin & Webb was active in The Royal Cutlery Works (Eyre Street and later Norfolk Street) with London showrooms at Oxford Street and Corn Hill. Joseph Charles retired from Mappin Brothers in 1873, Edward died in 1875 and in 1890 the business was sold to Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. In 1898 Mappin & Webb became a limited liability company under to total control of John Newton Mappin and his sons, Walter John (1868-1943), Herbert Joseph (1872-1946), and Stanley Arthur (1873-1924). In 1902 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co sold Mappin Brother to J.N. Mappin who merged the two companies under the name Mappin & Webb (Mappin Bros incorporated) closing the family feud after more than 40 years. At the death of J.N.Mappin (1913) his son Walter John became chairman of Mappin & Webb Ltd succeeded by Charles Eves (1923), Herbert Joseph Mappin (1933-1946) and J. N. Mappin Fraser (until 1959). In 1963, Mappin & Webb merged with Elkington and Walker & Hall to form British Silverware Ltd. The merger was unsuccessful and in 1971 Mappin & Webb factory in Sheffield was closed. Mappin & Webb name survived as a brand of luxury jewellery and silverware. The assets were bought eventually by the Icelandic conglomerate Baugur. When that company declared bankruptcy in 2010, the Mappin & Webb brand passed to Aurum Holdings.
Other trademarks were EMBASSY PLATE, IXION SILVER, MAPPIN PLATE, TRUSTWORTHY.

MAPPIN & WEBB: HISTORY AND MARKS


MAPPIN & WEBB: DATE LETTERS


Mappin & Webb: ancient advertisement




Mappin Brothers: Queen's Plate trademark Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Mappin Brothers Joseph Mappin - Sheffield Mappin Brothers
MAPPIN BROTHERS
Sheffield and London
The origins of the company date back to 1810 (founder Joseph Mappin Sr, 1766-1841) and later as Joseph Mappin & Son. In 1828 Joseph Jr (1794-1841) left his father, entered in partnership with George Arundel (Arundel & Mappin) and continued the activity as
Joseph Mappin after the retirement of Arundel (1835). In the same year (1835) was registered the corporate trade mark (a "sun"). At the death of Joseph Mappin Jr. (1841) his elder son Frederick Thorpe Mappin was left as nominal head of both the firm and his three younger brothers: Edward (1826-1875), Joseph Charles (1828-1901), and John Newton (1835-1913). Despite his young age, Frederick proved to be an excellent businessman leading the company with success, initially as Joseph Mappin & Brothers and from 1852 as Mappin Brothers. In 1851 the production was transferred to the new Queen's Plate & Cutlery Works, the company participated with its full production to the London Great Exhibition and showrooms were opened in London. In 1857, the youngest brother, John Newton Mappin, became a partner. However, in 1859 Mappin Brothers was dissolved. Edward and Joseph Charles purchased the business and the rights to the name "Mappin Bros" and Frederick retired. John Newton founded the new company Mappin & Co, later renamed Mappin, Webb & Co and in 1868 Mappin & Webb & Co. Edward and Joseph Charles tried to forbid to John Newton the use of the name "Mappin". They lost their lawsuit but the dispute about the rights to the name continued until the 1890s. Mappin & Webb was active in The Royal Cutlery Works (Eyre Street and later Norfolk Street) with London showrooms at Oxford Street and Corn Hill. Joseph Charles retired from Mappin Brothers in 1873, Edward died in 1875 and in 1890 the business was sold to Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. In 1898 Mappin & Webb became a limited liability company under to total control of John Newton Mappin and his sons, Walter John (1868-1943), Herbert Joseph (1872-1946), and Stanley Arthur (1873-1924). In 1902 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co sold Mappin Brother to J.N. Mappin who merged the two companies under the name Mappin & Webb (Mappin Bros incorporated) closing the family feud after more than 40 years. At the death of J.N.Mappin (1913) his son Walter John became chairman of Mappin & Webb Ltd succeeded by Charles Eves (1923), Herbert Joseph Mappin (1933-1946) and J. N. Mappin Fraser (until 1959). In 1963, Mappin & Webb merged with Elkington and Walker & Hall to form British Silverware Ltd. The merger was unsuccessful and in 1971 Mappin & Webb factory in Sheffield was closed. Mappin & Webb name survived as a brand of luxury jewellery and silverware. The assets were bought eventually by the Icelandic conglomerate Baugur. When that company declared bankruptcy in 2010, the Mappin & Webb brand passed to Aurum Holdings. The firm used the QUEEN'S PLATE trademark

E.P.N.S. (Electroplated Nickel Silver) and EPBM (Electroplated Britannia Metal) are the most common names attributed to silver plate items. But many other names are used for silver plate:
EPWM - Electroplate on White Metal, EPC - Electroplate on Copper, Argentium, Argentine Plate, Argentum, Ascetic, Austrian Silver, Brazilian Silver, Buxbridge, Electrum, Encore, Exquisite, Insignia Plate, Nevada Silver, Norwegian Silver, Pelican Silver, Potosi Silver, Silverite, Sonora Silver, Spur Silver, Stainless Nickel, Stainless Nickel Silver, Venetian Silver, W.M White Metal,....





WORLDWIDE DIRECTORY OF SILVERPLATE MANUFACTURERS: HISTORY & MARKS
Rogers & Bro. - Waterbury CT hallmarkUSA & Canada     Mappin & Webb hallmarkWalker & Hall hallmarkUK Electroplate     Devices of Old Sheffiel PlateOld Sheffield Plate     Herrmann factory silver plate markContinental/Europe

BRITISH TOWN MARKS AND DATE LETTERS

STERLING SILVER OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND
ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MAKER'S MARKS
AA/AE    AF/AZ    BA/BZ    CA/CH    CI/CZ    DA/DZ    EA/EZ    FA/FZ    GA/GZ    HA/HG    HH/HZ    IA/IG    IH/IZ    JA/JC    JD/JI    JJ/JP    JQ/JS    JT/JZ    KA/LZ    MA/MZ    NA/PA    PB/PZ    QA/RJ    RK/RZ    SA/SG    SH/SZ    TA/TH    TI/TZ    UA/WB    WC/WF    WG/WL    WM/WS    WT/ZZ   

English home page
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington), history, oddities ...
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY


These pages were useful? leave your LIKE on facebookgo to facebook page

work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated -