This is a page of A
Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu,
a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you
need to know about antique silver, sterling silver,
silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver,
silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements,
marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs,
famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington,
WMF, Reed & Barton, Mappin & Webb, Bateman Family),
history, oddities ...
HISTORY AND MARKS
James Emmett Caldwell (1813-1881) apprenticed to Peter B. Hayes to learn jewelry trade specializing as a watchmaker.
In 1839 Caldwell opened his own shop in Philadelphia. In 1843 he entered in partnership with Bennett acting under the style Bennett & Caldwell.
In 1848 Bennett died and John C. Farr replaced him as partner. The firm became J.E. Caldwell & Co and later J.E. Caldwell Co.
After the death of the founder (1881) the firm was managed by his son James Albert Caldwell (1844-1914), in turn succeeded in 1914 by his son J. Emmett Caldwell (the same name of his grandparent).
Until the early 1850s Caldwell had its own production of silverware, but from the late 1850s the word "manufacturer" disappeared from its advertising.
For most of its existence the firm, along with its competitor Bailey & Co, acted as major jewelry and silver retailer in Philadelphia selling items made by main
American makers or acting as agent for goods made up for special order.
The firm moved several times as it continually expanded, finally settling at 902 Chestnut Street in 1868.
The firm acquired a National reputation through the awards obtained in competition with the leading silversmiths of the country for the State silver services presented to battleships and cruisers of the US Navy. In addition the firm has planned and designed many other public memorials and prize cups for important Meet and Show held in or near Philadelphia.
They exhibited at the Centennial International Exhibition of 1876 in Philadelphia which was the first official World's Fair to be held in the United States.
In 1952 Austïon Homer became president of the company and the following year began an ambitious store expansion programme. A second branch was opened in the Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, Delaware with others following including Princeton, King of Prussia and New Jersey.
After several changes of ownership (Carlyle & Co., of Greensboro, N.C., jewelry retailer, bought Caldwell in 1992 from its parent company, which was operating under bankruptcy court protection) and a sad decline in fortune, the flagship store closed in 2003 followed by the remaining branches in 2009.
James E, Caldwell 1839 - 1843
Bennett & Caldwell 1843 - 1848
J.E. Caldwell & Co 1848 - date unknown
J.E. Caldwell Co date unknown - bought by Carlyle & Co. 1992
BENNETT & CALDWELL
J.E. CALDWELL & CO
J.E: CALDWELL & CO IN 1908
J.E. Caldwell & Co at 902 Chestnut Street in 1908
|SILVERPLATE AND ELECTROPLATED SILVER OF USA AND CANADA
anchors, arrows, bells,
birds, candelabra, crosses, crowns
fantastical entities, horses,
human figures, lions
plants and vegetables, stars,
blades, windmills, others
|STERLING SILVER OF USA AND CANADA
|SILVER MANUFACTURERS: MARKS, HISTORY AND INFORMATION
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of
Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about
antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver,
silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles,
books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington),
history, oddities ...|
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY