This is a page of A
Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu,
a 1000 pages richly illustrated website offering all you
need to know about antique silver, sterling silver,
silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver,
silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements,
marks and hallmarks, articles, books, auction catalogs,
famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington,
WMF, Reed & Barton, Mappin & Webb, Bateman Family),
history, oddities ...
HISTORY AND MARKS
The firm of Elizur G. Webster began the silverplating activity at 175 Broadway, NY in 1860.
In 1864 E.G. Webster entered in partnership with William Dupree forming the firm Webster & Dupree active at 447 Broome (serving probably as the factory of the business).
In 1865, Adelbert A. Webster joined his brother forming E.G. Webster & Brother active at 14 Maiden Lane.
The activity of Webster & Dupree continued at 447 Broome until c. 1866 when presumably became the factory of the new Webster Manufacturing Co (Dupree remained in the business as factory's superintendent). The location at 14 Maiden Lane became the firm's showroom.
In 1867 the Webster Manufacturing Co was incorporated with E.G. Webster as president and A.A. Webster as secretary but in 1875 the firm changed its name back to E.G. Webster & Brother.
In 1886 A.A. Webster left the partnership (hi formed A.A. Webster & Co) and E.G. Webster formed a new partnership with his son Fred H. Webster under the name of E.G. Webster & Son.
E.G. Webster died in 1900 and the business was continued by his son Fred H. Webster until 1928 when the firm was sold to International Silver Co.
F.H. Webster continued for some time his activity in the firm (he died in 1941) but the production was moved to Meriden and combined with the Barbour Silver Co factory "A".
In 1961 the trademark was changed to Webster Wilcox until 1981 when the business was sold to Oneida Silversmiths.
E.G. Webster 1859-1864
Webster & Dupree 1864-1865
E.G. Webster & Brother 1865-1866
Webster Manufacturing Co 1866-1874
E.G. Webster & Brother 1875-1886
E.G. Webster & Son 1886-1928
sold to International Silver Co 1928
trade mark changed to Webster Wilcox 1961
sold to Oneida Silversmiths 1981
Brooklyn Silver Plate Co, a trademark used on silverplate napkin rings (c.1895-1900)
TEA SETS IMAGES FROM A 1912 CATALOG
|SILVERPLATE AND ELECTROPLATED SILVER OF USA AND CANADA
anchors, arrows, bells,
birds, candelabra, crosses, crowns
fantastical entities, horses,
human figures, lions
plants and vegetables, stars,
blades, windmills, others
|STERLING SILVER OF USA AND CANADA
|SILVER MANUFACTURERS: MARKS, HISTORY AND INFORMATION
This is a page of 'The What is? Silver Dictionary' of A Small Collection of
Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about
antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, Sheffield plate, electroplate silver,
silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, articles,
books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington),
history, oddities ...|
HOME - SITE MAP - SILVER DICTIONARY - COOKIES CONSENT AND PRIVACY