THE DIRECTORY OF AUSTRALIA SILVERSMITHS
MARKS AND HALLMARKS OF AUSTRALIAN SILVER

. . .


created by Giorgio B. owner of
www.silvercollection.it ©
English home page
versione italiana page d'accueil en francais
This is a page of A Small Collection of Antique Silver and Objects of vertu, a 1500 pages richly illustrated website offering all you need to know about antique silver, sterling silver, silverplate, sheffield plate, electroplate silver, silverware, flatware, tea services and tea complements, marks and hallmarks, silver marking system and silver hallmarks guide, articles, books, auction catalogs, famous silversmiths (Tiffany, Gorham, Jensen, Elkington, WMF, Reed & Barton, Mappin & Webb, Bateman Family), history, oddities ...
SITE MAP - HOME PAGE
AUSTRALIA SILVERSMITHS
ALPHABETICAL LISTING
- S - T - U - V -



AUSTRALIAN SILVERSMITHS    A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L    M    N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    X    Y    Z    NOT IDENTIFIED
ALPHABETICAL LISTING OF MARKS
(click on the photo to enlarge image)
SILVERSMITH'S NAME
AND MARKS
SILVERSMITH'S INFORMATION
SANDERS W.J.
SANDERS W.J. SANDERS W.J. SANDERS W.J.
New South Wales, Sydney
William James Sanders (1885-1946) of English origin, emigrated to Australia in 1911 and opened his workshop at 80 Hunter Street, Sydney, in 1912. In 1915 he moved at 212 Clarence Street and in 1924 to 1 Lee Street, Railway Place where W. J. Sanders, manufacturing silversmiths, goldsmiths and art metal workers was located for close on half a century. The "Elephant's Head" figural mark (part of coat of arms of the Sanders family) was used by W. J. Sanders, W J. Sanders Pty Ltd and subsequently, AmorSanders Pty Ltd from c.1915 to 1996
SARGISON AROLD F.
Arold F. Sargison Arold F. Sargison
Hobart, Tasmania (125 Liverpool Street)
Arold F. Sargison (1885-1983) was active from 1920 c. to 1980, when he retired at the age of 95.The silversmith is known for his ecclesiastical wares, in particular the gold monstrance, designed by Alan C. Walker, made in 1932 for Hobart's St Mary's Cathedral. He is also the maker of the Tasmanian Mace for the House of Assembly Chamber.



SCHAFER Edward
Edward Schafer, Melbourne
Victoria, Melbourne
active circa 1880
SCHOMBERG Julius
SCHOMBERG Julius
South Australia, Adelaide
active 1850s/1860s
SHEFFIELD MANUFACTURING & PLATING CO LTD
Sheffield Manufacturing & Plating Co Ltd
New South Wales, Sydney
founded c. 1899, was an overseas arm of the well known Walker & Hall company from Sheffield, England. They were located at 309 Pitt St Sydney. Circa December 1916, they relocated to 84 Wentworth Ave Sydney to a new 5 story building, later known as "Sheffield House" where they operated until they were liquidated in June 1953.
SILCRAFT PTY LTD
Silcraft Pty Ltd Silcraft Pty Ltd
Victoria, Melbourne
Founded in 1930 by J. and Mary I Sharp. Later, their Managing Director Mr A.F. Thompson and his family took over the company. They expanded during the late 1940s, with many new employees, later moving to 82 Dandenong Road Oakleigh in the early 1950s. They were then relocated not far from there at 168 Forster Road Mount Waverley. Silverware production ceased in late 1950s
STEETH J. W. & SON
J.W. Steeth & Son
Victoria, Melbourne
J.W. Steeth and Son was founded in the early twentieth century by James William Steeth (c.1884-1959) and continued by James' son Maurice James Francis Steeth (c.1913-1970). Fortunato Rocca, who joined the firm as apprentice in 1962, continued the family business after the death of Maurice Steeth until c. 2000. Steeth was active at Arco House, Melbourne using the mark 'J S & S in a trefoil'
STEINER Henry
STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry STEINER Henry
South Australia, Adelaide
Henry Steiner was born in Rodenberg, near Hanover, Germany in 1835. He immigrated to Adelaide in 1858, and set up his business in 1860, on Rundle Street. In Adelaide his creations obtained great success enjoying the patronage of governors and other elites and showing his production in exhibitions across Australia and overseas (Paris Exhibition Universelle in 1878 and The Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880). In 1884, after the death of his wife, he sold off his business to August Brunkhorst and returned to Germany where died in 1914




STEVENSON Walter Hunter
STEVENSON Walter Hunter STEVENSON Walter Hunter STEVENSON Walter Hunter STEVENSON Walter Hunter
South Australia, Adelaide
founded Stevenson Bros at 20 Rundle Street, Adelaide. The business was active in Adelaide from 1878 to 1956



STOKES Thomas
STOKES & SON
STOKES & SONS
STOKES (Australasia) Ltd.

STOKES Thomas STOKES (Australasia) Ltd. STOKES Thomas STOKES (Australasia) Ltd. and Steward Dawson & Co: silverplate STOKES & SON  silverplate STOKES & SON  silverplate STOKES & SON  silverplate STOKES & SON  silverplate STOKES & SON STOKES & SON STOKES & SON STOKES & SON STOKES & SONS: Boomerang Plate trademark STOKES & SON: Georgian trademark
Victoria, Melbourne
Thomas Stokes was born in 1831 in Birmingham, England and migrated to Australia in the 1850s. After a partnership as Stokes & Martin, in 1893 he founded Stokes & Son at 29 Little Collins Street. The business was re-named in 1911 as Stokes & Son Pty Ltd (proprietary concern) engaging on mass-production of medals at competitive prices and, later, on a diversified production of sterling silver and silverplate wares. In 1935 the business moved to Albert Street, Brunswick, and in 1962 was renamed Stokes (Australasia) Pty Ltd (public company). By 2005, the business had relocated to the eastern suburb of Melbourne (Ringwood).
STOKES & SON  silverware marks
SUHARD & CO
Suhard & Co - Adelaide
South Australia, Adelaide
active c. 1900
TAYLOR & SHARP
Taylor & Sharp, Hobart Taylor & Sharp, Hobart
Tasmania, Hobart
active c. 1900




HALLMARKS OF ENGLISH SILVER - MAKER'S MARK IDENTIFICATION
BRITISH TOWN MARKS AND DATE LETTERS
AUSTRALIA AND ITS SILVER
A BRIEF HISTORY
 1841 map of Australia Colony
Australia in the 19th century was made up of six separate colonies, New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania, Queensland and Western Australia, South Australia (including, at this time, also the Northern Territories).
In term of working silversmiths only three colonies supported any number of craftsmen, namely South Wales capital, Sydney, Victoria, capital Melbourne and South Australia capital, Adelaide.
In the first half of the 19th century inhabitants of Australia were few tenths of thousands and pre 1850 Australian silver by comparison to colonial silver in general must be considered very rare.
Most working silversmiths with retail business carried imported silver or plated items as current stock and locally produced items were manufactured only to fulfill immediate orders (as presentation trophies) when the waiting time to order pieces from England was too long.
No form of official mark or date letter system was introduced into the hallmarking of Australian silver.
Early Australian silversmiths marked their objects with their full name or initials and imitations of English hallmarks as leopard's heads, lions and anchors.
In 1988 was formed the Gold and Silversmiths Guild of Australia. A voluntary system of marking was introduced (maker's mark, standard mark, guild mark and date letter).





work in progress on this page - your help, corrections and suggestions will be greatly appreciated